Should I river cross with ?Crack in EGR

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zooby

Reaction score
Hey all, I think I have a crack in my EGR or exhaust (high pitch squeal while boosting). Ive heard of others with this and how it seems pretty harmless (due to no loss of power/boost). Currently planning a trip to cape york mid year, would it be dangerous to river cross with this ?EGR crack.

Should I stop spending on recovery gear and 4wd mods and pay to fix this darn thing?

Thanks in advance, Tom

It's a good idea to have your vehicle mechanically sound before you depart on any trip.
Cape York this year will be very wet and the sudden quenching on any already compromised component will only further weaken that component. If it was me, for piece of mind I'd get it fixed. You don't want it to end up being your achilles heel when your up to your guts in mud.

mine must have been leaking for a while but then it let go totally, broke right off. then you get very little boost. would hate to be out in middle of nowhere when it happens.

You know what I'd do?

I'd pop the EGR pipe off, cut off the damn ends of the pipes, braze the bloody ends shut (just fill in the big holes) and then whack them back on minus the pipe that connects both ends. Problem solved. Both ends sealed. No boost or exhaust leak and nothing that can fail.

Don't forget to use a decent gasket cement.

Thanks guys, good points, ill get it rectified.
I like your idea tony, however, has this been done? Ive read on this forum the zd30 is a very sensitive engine.

I might go back to trying to find the source of the noise (which is bloody hard as it needs to be on the dyno and the dyno spinning is too loud to hear the noise). Also the mechanic flogs it on the dyno for 10mins, kills the engine with no cool down dozens of times...destroying the turbo. I wish i was more car competent.

Looks like some new tyres will be a bit later. Cheers guys

Latest posts

Back