Servicing & Warranty

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about the knock on effect of modifications to warranty?
Example (made up): I come to nissan with a buggered gearbox and they note my car has a 5inch lift, will they then say I must have the lift to clear larger tyres and the added strain of the larger tyres has rooted the box.
How far does this cascade?

Warranty will only be effected if the mod can be proven to be the fault of the claim. The ball is in their caught to make it hard for you but if you can get proof that any modification is not directly related to the warranty claim you will be fine. The choice is whether you choose to fight it and whether fighting it is worth your time.

How many people check their home owners warranty before doing work on their house, very few, at the end of the day any company offering a warranty will use any method they can to kill a claim, but making one small change can never effect that claim without proof.

Mods are a risk, but they aren't ever going to be a sure fire reason for any manufacturer to ditch a claim. Every case would be different and rely on so many other factors a blanket response is impossible.

justdrinkbeer said:
How about the knock on effect of modifications to warranty?
Example (made up): I come to nissan with a buggered gearbox and they note my car has a 5inch lift, will they then say I must have the lift to clear larger tyres and the added strain of the larger tyres has rooted the box.
How far does this cascade?

As i I said. It all depends on the story the advisor relays to Nissan. They always ask questions about modifications just to squirm out of if. That could be down to diff and maybe transfer. Not so much gearbox.

How strict is everyone to their Service log book?
Mine says the next service is 5k, and when you check the capped price list online it starts at 10k?

And how about Air Lockers then? The bloke at ARB said it will not void factory warranty (he drives a shitbox that predates the word warranty being in the dictionary), but if I had to fix something that had clearly altered what I had done I would try to get out of it.
Hey Charlie, i'll have a yarn with you about this subject when I bring my car in next, I haven't even put the 2inch kit lying in my garage in yet for fear of voiding warranty

Lockers void your diff yes. It's stupid. I hate it. Wish I could claim everything

I'd imagine they could argue that a locker puts more strain on the axles, bearings and the diff itself but everything upstream (drive shaft, transfer case, clutch, gearbox & engine) would have to be excluded from the locker's impact. They'd have to be total bastards to try and insist that the additional load of the locker could push the rest of the drive train past the point of "normal use".

What on earth is "normal use" with a four-wheel drive "Australia's TOUGHEST Tradie" anyway? I'd suggest it's a lot harsher than stuffing a locker down the back end.

Probably just diff Rich. I wouldn't worry you can't get a front locker snywzyv ;) haha

Speaking personally and I'll use the locker as an example, when I can I'm putting in a rear locker as I plan on some desert trips and I want everything available to me should I get stuck with no one around. If fitting a locker voids some part of the warranty of something, then so be it. I bought the vehicle so I can use it and if I want to fit something so I can use the vehicle for what I intended to use it for then I'll fit it.

I guess the reason I asked this question was I was more interested in the fact as to whether Nissan would void a warranty because Nissan had not serviced the vehicle, not as to whether non genuine Nissan fluids and parts were used. I think the entire planet knows that you can run cars reliably on non genuine parts and fluids.

But it's a good conversation anyway. :)

Back