Roof Console/Dash Thingy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJ.Abroad

Reaction score
Hello guys!

Im really interested in having all the gear you need to be analytical expert, with enough measuring gear to launch a rocket to the moon... Accurately. In relation to equipment, UHFs, Coolant levels, Water temp Alarm, Turbo Timer, Electronic Brake Controller, Bluetooth Hands Free, Iphone Holder, egt guages... etc etc. Theres just not enough room on my dash, not to mention with my 24¨ lcd display, there may be some trouble seeing out the windshield.

In trucks they have an drop down from the roof, also in aviation. Which gives you room for all your gear. The consoles just go down the middle, but i want something that spreads the width of the roof. Fabricating it out of metal is plausable, but i think it would need some carpet look. Its an expensive product to buy, although it does look nice. Plastic i just have no idea.

Let me know of your thoughts! but for now..:redcool:

If you as going to install something that spreads the width of the roof, you won't want it to thick - else you will bang your head on it while 4wd ing.
And if its really thin - how useful would it be? what would you put up there? minimum

I guess you could get something bent up from sheet metal.
Probably have to think carefully about which mount points to use etc.

I used to make roof consoles that went from door to door, I used 9mm ply, painted, cleared or cover with carpet, vinyl or material.
Strong yet light weight.

I agree with Pauly it's possible and relatively easy but space is the limiting issue. Some utes like the F series etc have after market roof consoles that go across the cab because they have extra head space, in a pokey cabin like the majority of today dual cabs it's just not viable for anyone but a midget to have the console in front of their head space.

Also have to take into consideration what you store up there and how easy it is to get, in trucks it's easy to reach up and pull things down from a roof console in front of your head but in a ute cabin it's going to be cramped and tight.

Minimum "gap" required to mount a gauge would be about 60mm.
+ the thickness of a whatever you made the console out of.

Well i think of the minium gap of 60mm say, and to be made out of 5mm thick aluminum. With enough thickness to house a uhf, scan guage, warning guage, and a few other 52mm gauges.

Its not so much for storage but for gauges. I dont have my d22 near me, to make notes, as im currently in spain.

If you're going to mount gauges up there I'd definitely test before going down the path of making it. It might not seem far to avert your gaze while driving but looking up at gauges and taking note of readings may not be all that practical. CB would be different because you don't often need to take in what is on the display but gauges could be awkward.

Latest posts

Back