Rhodesian Ridgeback Show - Victoria.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgie

Reaction score
Hey folks,

The Rhodesian Ridgeback Club of Victoria has it's 25th Anniversary Show on the 19th and 20th of March at KCC park - Westernport Hwy, Skye. 10.00am start both days. Obedience trial at 8.30 on Sunday.

I'll be there with my dogs on both days - my wife is the secretary of the club ( I was once the President!!!).

Judge is from the UK and we expect about 120 ridgebacks from all over Australia.

Anyway - if you feel like a day out come down and say g'day - and put me out of the misery that these shows can be! I'll supply you with a beer or two.

Just ask for Darren or Buzz.

Last edited:
I used on the commitee with the pit bull terrier association up here in Qld. Heck of lot of work goes into a show like that, hope all goes well.

Thanks Al. While I was Pres we had some huge entries at shows. The wife has been flat out with this one, well you know what committees are like............some will work, others want things done. She is a worker and I hope like hell it all comes together for her.

Haha, just trying to picture our ridgeback Tana in a dog show, chaos is a word that springs to mind!! I'll see how that weekends looking but wouldn't mind checking it out!
Cheers Daz!

I've always been under the impression that Ridgebacks are very cranky dogs that can't be trusted around humans. I have absolutely no idea where I got that idea and absolutely nothing to base it on, just wondering if thats right?
I'm looking for a dog in the future (few months, maybe a year), just wondering what their good/bad points are?
Sorry if off topic.

Enjoy the show

Thanks mate - happy to answer your query.

They don't suffer fools - so some people don't like them. Hahahaha.

They have traditionally been bred as a family dog which can hunt in a pack and guard the property - but essentially live with the family - in the house.
There big claim to fame was their ability to track lion and then the pack would hold it at bay until the hunter shot it - they weren't stupid enough to attack the lion. So that has contibuted to an unwarranted reputation for aggression - because "they hunt lions".

They should be neither aggressive or shy - but they are aloof with strangers. Like any dog, their environment can have an impact on their behaviour. I'm certainly not going to paint a picture of the cute and cuddly ridgeback - like a golden retreiver or the like. They can have attitude and will protect their property. They like to chase anything that runs - so early training is essential. They do not accept harsh training methods or punishment - they demand a higher respect than that - and I am being fairdinkum - I have seen many ridgebacks who take no notice of their owner who has been carrying on yelling and yanking on the lead - yet a calm and assertive voice gets results almost immediately. A well bred ridgeback will be even tempered and sensible.

Some of the VNOG boys have met my dogs and they will tell you that they don't rush up for a pat - they take their time in assessing situations and who they will 'talk' with. Young males can be particularly 'cautious' and can react with a growl or bark if they feel uncomfortable - so this needs to be managed well and they tend to grow out of it.

Generally speaking they are easy going and laid back. They love to be part of tha family. They will laze in the sun or by the fire for hours but when it's time for a run or walk they are as keen as.

I have various breeds in my time - pure and crosses. The ridgeback is at the top of my list for what I want in a dog.

If you are interested in knowing more send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send out some more info.

This is not a sales pitch as my wife and I don't breed very often - probably once every 18 mths - 2 years. (It's too bloody hard!)

The Sydney show is on 1 & 2 October (the weekend of the Navara Muster! - so I am in a pickle over that).

Last edited:
As an "amateur" ridgeback owner I'll give you my thoughts... Ridgie has summed it up spot on. This is my first big dog so did plenty of reading and research before getting her. She gets on well with everyone and as she gets older her confidence seems to be growing with small children/strangers etc. We're having a couple if issues with her at the moment with other large dogs, she seems to get a bit defensive, but other than that she is just a big beautiful gentle giant who lives food, clowning around with our Maltese Shihtzu and sleeping in the middle of the bed... we dont let her but that's the only time she growls!!
And man does she love to run , it's an awesome sight.
We got ours off a breeder and I'm sure that some can behave differently but ours seems to fit the mould of what ridgie said. I've met one of ridgies dogs, I can only dream that mine would be that obedient, but she and I are learning together!

Latest posts

Back