Reversing lights d22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveandbron

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I bought a reversing camera for the d22 (05) & asked my auto elec to fit it ( & get the reversing lights working while your at it) He fitted the camera & said the switch that bolts to the g/box was faulty so got a new one. He fitted that but still no go. It appears that the mechanism in the gearbox that operates the switch & the switch itself are not cooperating as the system works if he bypasses it. There is no washer on the switch that could be holding it away from the body. Before we put in a separate switch on the dash, does anyone have any suggestions as to how fix the problem? Could 195k's & a little sloppyness be enough to create enough slack to keep the contact points separate & therefore be a job to do when the g/box is out at some time.
cheers Dave

Hi mate.

Did the standard revers lights work in the first place? There is a plug under the drivers seat that has a wire that runs from the relay to the rear lights. Use that as the trigger wire. Have a look at the D22 wiring diagram thread. The location and colour is in there somewhere. Cheers.

Thanks for your thoughts,the lights were not working previously however they do work if the switch mechanism at the g/box is bypassed. A new switch was fitted so it seems the problem is with the mechanical activation from the gearbox. Just wondering if there is a way of fixing it without fitting a override switch on the dash. cheers Dave

You could always get creative and make a switch that is triggered when you actually move the gearstick. Won't be real easy to do, but may be easier and cheaper than removing the gearbox. ...

It's hard to believe that wear would be the cause. Have you tried to take the switch out and maybe extend the part that makes contact.

I have had this happen in the past but not on a nav. I just stuck a little blob of weld on the end of the switch plunger and filed it to shape. Worked perfectly for the last 12 years now...

That's a good run for a cheap fix. 12 years. That was what I was thinking as to how it could be fixed.

Latest posts

Back