Registering homemade trailers??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozstickman

Reaction score
Gday everyone. I have a quick question for you all as I'm sure someone will know. How do you go getting a homemade trailer registered in QLD? Apart from going to the transport dept, any tips to make the process easier? I looked on the QLD Dept of Transport site but came up with nothing.

I have modified a few trailers and added stuff for people but as yet havent built any trailers but I have a lady that wants me to build one for her from scratch. A full custom job.

Do you get QLD Dept of Transport give you the VIN number to put on it etc. I know the design regs and how it must have % of overhang to % of this and that. Just the registration part has me wondering.

Cheers n Beers
Sticko

I just built my own camper trailer so I'll answer as best I can.

The VIN is issued from qld transport, however they won't issue it without you giving a date on which it was built. Up to you if you wait till its done or just give them any date, as the date has no bearing later on. Also you need to buy a compliance plate from them to fill out and attach.

If the trailer is 750kg ATM or less you do a self-check form, no inspection needed.

If over 750kg ATM you need to take it into qld transport for them to inspect and run tape over it.

No roadworthy is required on NEW trailers, only if re-registering a trailer.

You need to provide a weight of trailer empty, and have that on the compliance plate. Easiest way is a weighbridge ticket.

If you want to know anything send me a PM, I'm more then happy to help after only recently doing the same thing. Also know a few little things regarding the building of the trailer I nay be able to share.

Mitch

I just built my own camper trailer so I'll answer as best I can.

The VIN is issued from qld transport, however they won't issue it without you giving a date on which it was built. Up to you if you wait till its done or just give them any date, as the date has no bearing later on. Also you need to buy a compliance plate from them to fill out and attach.

If the trailer is 750kg ATM or less you do a self-check form, no inspection needed.

If over 750kg ATM you need to take it into qld transport for them to inspect and run tape over it.

No roadworthy is required on NEW trailers, only if re-registering a trailer.

You need to provide a weight of trailer empty, and have that on the compliance plate. Easiest way is a weighbridge ticket.

If you want to know anything send me a PM, I'm more then happy to help after only recently doing the same thing. Also know a few little things regarding the building of the trailer I nay be able to share.

Mitch

Cheers mate. Only a 8x5 enclosed trailer so it will not be more than 750kg ATM.

What weight is to be carried in it? An 8x5 enclosed I would guess will weigh in around say 600kg? That means can only carry 150kg.

Remember:
Tare = weight of trailer no load
ATM = maximum allowable weight fully loaded including load weight and Tare weight

The rating regarding brakes and inspection is based upon ATM not Tare.

There is also an Australian Vehicle standard which can be downloaded which explains the requirements for light trailers - things like how many taillights, reflectors, running lights, what colours and where etc they need to be located. Well worth flipping through if you haven't already.

There is also an Australian Vehicle standard which can be downloaded which explains the requirements for light trailers - things like how many taillights, reflectors, running lights, what colours and where etc they need to be located. Well worth flipping through if you haven't already.

Got it.

What weight is to be carried in it? An 8x5 enclosed I would guess will weigh in around say 600kg? That means can only carry 150kg.

Remember:
Tare = weight of trailer no load
ATM = maximum allowable weight fully loaded including load weight and Tare weight

The rating regarding brakes and inspection is based upon ATM not Tare.

Worked out Tare of 380 to 420kg.

Yeah mate. Flowers! I suggested brakes but when she told me that she'd might have maybe 200kg of flowers at a time. The enclosure is to stop the wind affecting them.

Latest posts

Back