Reading the service Manual (or a lesson in English)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KraftyPg

Ok so it's been a while since I passed English As A First Language and I'm not sure those at Nissan ever did given some of the lingo in the manuals but who's got a take on this item from the 40K service list.

"Adjust Intake and exhaust valve clearance (Without HLA, Except YD & ZD engines)"

For starters I don't know if any YD engines have ever had HLA's but the manual for my engine seems to infer that whats under my hood is not hydraulic.

However does the next exception take the YD off the list or not, i.e. does it mean

Adjust on all engines (but the exclusion applies to engines without HLA AND YD engines)

or does the comma change the statement to be something like

Adjust on all engines (but the exclusion applies to engines without HLA except the YD's without HLA which require adjustment anyway)

I've read it too many times and been out of English class for too long to keep analyzing it, it's probably something simple and I'm over reading it but who wants to give it a shot anyway?

What you have failed to notice is that the manual is actually written in an interpretive version of the english language otherwise known as "Ingrish". The other thing I can tell you is that after 20 years of trying to come to terms with technical manuals from our Asian counterparts is that this is a language that can never be mastered so give up trying now and save yourself the stress.

Makes you wonder how the nufty's at Nissan interpret the things. Maybe this is where their "expertly trained technicians" come into their own, they can't fix a car but they can read a manual written in "ingrish".

Good english and gramma can be the difference between.

Helping your Uncle Jack off a horse. Or, helping your uncle jack off a horse

GOLD!!!!!! I might be strange but that is funny. Cheers Biscuits.

Back to topic, No I'm not that clever.
I did however ask the dealer at the last service about the adjust thing.
Answer was no need in the YD.

Hey I wonder if all dealers say the same thing, pity I don't know one with enough brains to ask, but thanks jjohn I was reading it as no but confirmation is good.

Need to know what's in store and what I need to buy for the 40K service, so far I don't need to buy anything, got the oil, air and fuel filters, the brake fluid is free and the rest of the fluids are check only.

Yeeah well, I had read it as needn it so I had in the budget. Duhhh.
Oh dealer said, "Don't read that thing we don't, It'll only confuse you."
Really?????
It's all clear to them as it's on there computer schedule....Hmmmmm

Well someone told me today that the reason it's not needed is because the YD has HLA and therefore don't require adjustment. Now if that's true I guess it makes sense there is no point trying to adjust them but the manual doesn't refer to HLA....either that or I was reading it with my eyes closed, either is possible.

its not Chinese and not English i call it "CHINGLISH"
those dvd headrest i bought a few weeks back had a manual that was written in "CHINGLISH" for such a simple thing to install it became very f@$#@% hard because i tried to follow the dam "CHINGLISH" manual. once i threw that s#@% in the bin i was heaps better off.

Owners Manual.

Tried opening the bonnet of mine last night for the first time since getting it back from a few warranty issues. I couldn't get it open because of the strap restraint thing they fitted as part of a recall. Any way the sticker that tells you what this thing is says to refer to the owners manual for instructions on disengaging. How wrong the sticker was. Owners manual say nothing about the PBRS thing. I ended up getting the bonnet open but i doubt Nissan would like how I did it

The manual wont have anything about the recall item since it was discovered and fabricated after the manual. About all the manual should have is a sticker saying the recall was done, which is there for legal reasons.

Legally you can't modify Nissan's fix and an insurance company can argue payment if you make a claim and they know it's been modified, just like they can argue a claim if the recall wasn't done and stickered but that doesn't change the fact that most people who got the recall strap aren't happy with it.

Latest posts

Back