Rattles at startup

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quent85

Reaction score
Hey everyone I just done my 80000km service and used genuine nissan engine oil and I have found the my car sat for the weekend and when I started it up it rattled, I drove it for 20 minutes and turned it off for about 3 hours and it rattle again, it's only just started doing it, any ideas on why it might be it's never done it before?
Thanks for any info

Hey everyone I just done my 80000km service and used genuine nissan engine oil and I have found the my car sat for the weekend and when I started it up it rattled, I drove it for 20 minutes and turned it off for about 3 hours and it rattle again, it's only just started doing it, any ideas on why it might be it's never done it before?
Thanks for any info

Did you use the correct oil for your model ? Genuine Nissan oil could mean that you put 5w-30 petrol engine oil in too.

I did my 5000km oil change myself a few weeks ago and put some Penrite HPR5 diesel oil in (non DPF model) and was surprised that the engine was actually running a bit quieter.

It depends on the rattle, of course.

If it's noisier injector clatter, it could be a change in fuelling - expected when the filter is changed and the relearn isn't triggered (easy: reset the ECU). Have you changed fuel brands? Did you refuel from a small servo (possible low turnover = old fuel, or water-in-diesel)?

If you suspect it's coming from the housing right at the front of the motor (tip: buy a $25 mechanic's stethoscope from SCA) then it could be your timing chains. While there haven't been a huge number of failures, the YD25 timing chains aren't the strongest. If they break, we're talking valves-into-pistons, cracked valve guides, scarred cylinder bores, maybe even damaged camshaft bearings and it could cost a small fortune to repair. If it IS your timing chain, don't replace it with a genuine part - talk to Paul from yd25.com.au and order the upgraded chain. Takes a bit to install it, but you'd never have to worry about it again.

I had the same thing and found it was the anti drain valve in the non genuine oil filter was letting the oil drain back and on start up the oil light would stay on the coinciding with the rattle. check you have used the right oil thicker is ok in the manual model and use a genuine filter, the anti drain valves are better. The rattle is because the oil has drained from the filter the pump takes time to fill it and for the oil pressure to come up. Watch your oil light as you start it and you will see that the noise stopes when the light goes off. I also went 10w40 oil as sometimes at the end of service intervals the oil is thinner and will even drain back from genuine filters. That's why 5000k oil changes are a good idea...

Latest posts

Back