Patrol Zd30 in a D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJMNAV

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Cut a long story short I have a Zd30 with huge amounts of blow by.. I was either going to rip it out and strip it down myself or buy a second hand motor..

I was wondering (because all i need is the bare block) if i could buy a Zd30 from a patrol, swap the turbo and intake (if needed) etc and use the bare block..

Cheers :) Dan

If your capable of pulling it out yourself why not rebuild what youve got?
How many kms?
why not just new rings?
whats wrong with your block?
What about rebuild kit from engines australia? ( I have not priced them)
The wrecker aholes want far far far too much for a second hand motor. You already have a second hand motor.
I dont know for sure but your bits will prob fit patrol block but stuff that. By the time you hope crankshaft journals etc end up ok you could be setting yourself up for a nightmare.
If you use your block your engine number still matches and you can claim its never been out of car, never been offroad and only driven to church on sundays by little old lady.

Not too hard to do a ring kit either..very nerve racking but once its goes again its very satifying.😊
Work clean and with a computer handy and its a breeze

I think the patrol blocks are slightly differernt with turbo feed and drain lines and possibly oil pressure sender as well. Apart from that not sure of the other differences i know the sumps are different but i think they are interchangeable so i would assume same bolt pattern and such same goes for heads, possibly have a slightly different piston design in different year ranges as well.

Maybe engine swap to a crd patrol motor and vgt turbo set up and swap an entire loom add the maf meter and use a yd25ddti can bus dash cluster to talk to the ecu :p.

Theres round 5 or so FULL rebuild kits on ebay ranging from 1100 ish to 1600
Would rather a BRAND NEW engine than just swapping out blocks.

I was wondering (because all i need is the bare block) if i could buy a Zd30 from a patrol, swap the turbo and intake (if needed) etc and use the bare block..

Cheers :) Dan

two BIG problems. one is the bellhousing pattern is differnt on the blocks.
for some dumb reason nissan has different drillings in the block for the navara bell housing. so a patrol engine would have to be redrilled and tapped to suit the navara bellhousing/gearbox.

the 2nd thing is patrol zd30 is nicknamed the grenade for a reason. odds are high that you will buy a damaged motor.

best option is to simply rebuild your old engine.
don't forget the balance shaft bearings, nissan do not supply them.

yep as above, bellhousing patterns are different but the markings are on the block, just need to be drilled. sump/pickup are different but interchangeable, turbos different.
rebuild the one you have. or there are 2nd hand nav motors for normally 2500-4500 on ebay.

Woah, thanks guys. I appreciate all the info :) It seems its alot easier for me to buy a rebuild kit and be done with it. PS this is not my daily driver.. I have two d22 navaras, ones single and ones dual cab haha.

Also, I assume that the blow by is caused from rings however it happened rather quickly so i assume a crown has cracked etc.. it was pissing oil out the catch can but none out the exhaust :/ and it runs a bit lumpy etc.

Also what brands are the ones to stick to for aftermarket rebuild kits etc

Cheers again guys :)

Latest posts

Back