Painting a tray

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.fisher

Reaction score
I've got a single cab D22 with an aluminium tray I want to paint the tray black has any one done this? Or know how ? I've seen a couple of trays with colourbond sheet folded over them looks alright.

It can be done but depends how much time you have
It all comes down to preperation. Aluminium is not as adhesive to paint as steel is so you need to be anal on prep work or it will just flake off.
personally just color the outside of the sides the colorbond sheet would be a great technique not badly priced and a good little project you can do on the weekend.
And if you wanted to be extra anal polish the remainder of the alloy you can see to set the finish.

Hope this helps.

Yeah looked in to the colour bond sheet, I'll sill have to spray a lot of the tray, I sprayed a test patch on the in side of the tray it worked well and I can't scratch it or get it to flake, will it take time to become weak??

I have had my door sprayed for over a year now and its still good.
Just appreciates a good wash n wax every now and then.

Easy, just scuff it down with a bit of thinners and a grey or red scotch brite, wipe off residue then prepsol then 2 pak etch or 1k etch, then paint. Piece a piss, any qualified spraypainter could do it in a flash for you.

i sprayed my ally boat a while back,and to make the paint adhere properly i was told to wipe it down thorouly with a rag and....VINEGAR... just your average white vinegar,and it works..
never had any paint flaking at all..

Latest posts

Back