Oziexplorer on laptop

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aido

Reaction score
I own a D22 and soon to take possession of a laptop so I stuck this in the D22 GPS / accessories bit but it will be relevant to others no doubt.
I have Looked at the Oziexplorer site and I have looked at the GPS australia site but I cant find the simple answer to my simple question.
This week I will be put in charge of a brand new laptop - f knows how much horsepower or whatsits it has but being latest and greatest I assume it can handle it.
Now what sort of GPS receiver and dingle does it require to run Victorian topo maps if not nationwide? I will purchase the maps and software through oziexplorer but what do I need to make it display the GPS mapping on the laptop screen. I'm a computer retard and the less fuss the better.
I just want detailed gps mapping on a large screen. How do I do this?

Given that 90% of hand held GPS units run less than 486 chips (i.e.computers from atleast 15 years ago) my suggestion would be that any pc running Windows will run any of the maps programs. Any store that tells people they need high powered or expensive top of the range pcs to run gps software alone is bullshitting their clients.

All dongles and software packages will have the minimum requirements listed on the box or in their website and you will find that those requirements are more to allow Windows and other background programs to run than their own. Run the maps on a unix/lynx based system and the requirements will drop quite a bit.

There is no hard and fast rule as to which require what but most of this stuff in plug and play so that anyone can set it up. Many travelers are using netbooks (little laptops for those uninitiated) that cost less than $500 for these tasks so there is alot of variables but the bottom line is you don't need the biggest and the best to run a gps map, anything from the last 5-8 years will do. Also these things all come with instructions written for those with limited knowledge of such systems so there is no reason why you can't set up such things by yourself.

oziexplorer will run on pretty much anything that is still working. Anything new will definitely be able to run it.

For GPS, a usb gps mouse or bluetooth unit will work fine.

You can download a trial version of ozi if you won't to try anything out.

A unit that can communicate NMEA seems to be required.

Hi Guy's, Aido I can show you Ozie running on my carpc. I have a gps mouse plugged into a usb port. I am also running Garman PC (street mapping) turn by turn voice commands etc. I can also show you Memory Map which I run on a laptop but never use. I find ozzie does me for my travels and you can see for yourself. Ozie does let you use a smaller operating system (windows mobile CE 4.2 and 5) but thats is only useful if you have a pocket PC or the like. My ozie came with maps and the software to allow you to use your own maps but it can be a convoluted process to convert them to the ozie format if you are not computer literate.
But I digress, for your use all you need is a gps mouse ($50 flea bay) and load your software onto the laptop. Can help you if you like.
Regards........Foxy

it looks like your question has been answered Aido. but I have a question for you! :D where are you going to mount your lap top and how? or if your going to mount it at all i guess? I purchased a little hp mini not long ago, for the sole reason for sat nav. but I still dont know how I'm going to mount it or where. the only place I'm thinking is above the glove box, make some sort of bracket for it to sit on or something.

I saw a nifty HEMA app on a 3G ipad on the weekend, not the cheapest way to do it but looked great.

I've got Oziexplorer running on a couple of different platforms as said before it will run on almost anything. The only thing you need to do if it's on an older (slower PC) is to configure your index maps as small as possible, It will run better.
But as for a GPS unit go to Twig Solutions and look at the GPS Mouse.
They have a magnetic base and plenty of cable.
They dont fall off the roof and are as robust as hell

I have my GPS mouse, mounted on my bonnet/hood. Car PC is tucked away in center console. Only thing visible is the screen on flexible mount.

Just need to get OziExplorer and some maps. Wanted to test it this weekend at the Scenic Rim, but won't get it in time.

I'm about 3 weeks off finalising my plans for a mobile GPS system, mine will be removable from the car and with a bit of luck also be MP3 storage I'm just waiting on some different maps to do final testing. Biscuits I'm sending you a PM.

Latest posts

Back