Opinions/Advice please

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markleslie

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been wrestling with this decision for a long time and just cannot seem to sway myself either way.....

I have a 2004 3.3l V6 D22 (DX). It has 145K on the clock and I bought it with 40K klms from Dept Main Roads in Qld. It has an ARB steel bullbar with warn winch, dual batteries, TJM canopy, side steps.

At the moment it is not very comfortable as I have very heavy/stiff leafs in the back and need to upgrade torsion bars in front and think it needs new bushes in the front.

As we all now, fuel economy is not great, but i average around 14-14.5L/100km.

We are looking at travelling again in a year and towing a camper trailer (dont know the weight but it is a beast of a trailer). We have previously travelled around east coast of Australia with the trailer, and although I didnt accurately record fuel figures, we always got less than 20L/100km (I think in the vicinty of 16-18).

I have been trying to convince myself to get rid of this and get a diesel for better economy and upgraded comfort and safety features. What I am unsure of is, will I really end up getting that much better fuel economy towing with the diesel anyway to warrant the cost difference of changing over to a diesel? Considering all the features I have on the car. ( I also have a 90L aux tank I fit inside the canopy to the firewall for better range).

I can get 12K for a trade in, would look at about 14K for private sale.

Sorry for the long post, any opinions would be appreciated.

thanks
Mark.

Are you happy with the vehicle bar the fuel economy ?

You have stronger diffs in the V6.

My 3L will get up to around 14L towing over 2 tonne.

Have you changed the exhaust on it ?

Extractors are a bitch to fit in these I hear.

Get it to breath better and she'll be better on fuel and have more go.

You're hauling a camper trailer. Even if it weighs a bit, at cruise it's a substantially lower profile than my caravan ... and we cruise gently (towing) at about 15.5-16LPHK, moderate at 18LPHK and when the going gets really hard, 20-24LPHK. It's a diesel. You're doing better in your rig now than I do.

My advice - be happy.

If you really want to get some performance and economy out of it, bolt a pair of turbochargers onto it. Other than that, there are probably performance chips out there for it - consider one.

It's a v6 so economy is not gonna be your best friend. As tony has stated that even diesels can get poor economy and its what my car is going through atm. Honestly open the exhaust up. The pain of fitting Extractors to these think is crap but the free flow may be worth it. Maybe even consider the 80series airbox conversion to get more air in and also the snorkel for cooler air.

Rusty

Latest posts

Back