Oil leak and cruise control not working

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farry84

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just took delivery of a 2014 d40 st and on the drive home noticed that the cruise control is not working in that it won't switch on. It also has an oil leak coming from the black plastic box in the back of the transfer case.

It is still under warranty so I'm not too concerned, but wanted to know if there is a fuse I can check for the cruise control (couldn't see one in the fuse box) and if this is a common problem?

As for the oil leak, am I guessing correctly that the black box thingy is the motor which selects high and low range?

It's my first d40 so still have heaps to learn!

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forum.

Yes that box would be the servo that does the transfer shifting for you.

The cruise control may not be working for a number of reasons:

* Brake switch fault. These cars have two brake switches, one for the brakes and one for the cruise control. If either is on, the CC won't turn on. This happens a bit on older cars, on newer cars it'll either be a breakage or someone forgot to mount it properly.

* Clutch switch fault. There's a switch on the clutch pedal as well, and if it thinks your clutch is depressed (and I don't mean ready to drive a bus in Afghanistan) it won't allow the cruise control to activate. Not as common as the brake fault but then not all cars are manuals either.

* ABS fault. Normally it'll light up your ABS light too, but if there's a faulty sender or an erratic reading (eg one wheel not returning a rotation signal but other 3 are because of blockage in the teeth) the cruise won't activate. ABS faults happen (usually through incidents like snagged sticks or shredded wheel bearings) but they aren't what you would consider "common".

* 4WD fault. Because this is part of the drive train the newer car might not activate the cruise. You should get a 4WD light showing on the dash (not just the indicator showing you're in 4WD, but the warning light). Easy enough to test - take the car to a loose surface (sand, gravel, mud) and put it in 4HI/4LO as appropriate. If the 4WD warning light comes on, that could be the reason for the cruise failing. Haven't heard of this before, I'm surmising that maybe they improved the TFs a little more and since you have a fault in your TF, maybe it's causing this.

CC does have a fuse, not sure where it is in the 2014 model. I guess we'll find out!

Thanks old tony!

Is the oil leaking from the servo a common issue? If so, is there a fix for it?

The cruise control I will let the techs sort out. After all, that's what warranty is for. Am just concerned that they have both occurred on a car with less than 12,000km on the clock.

The oil leak is quite substantial in that it has covered the bottom of the car in oil. Should this leak be something I check for regularly or is it pretty rare for this type of leak?

Actually this is the first I've heard of a leak from the servo. Had the front output shaft seal in my TF go, replaced under warranty and hasn't given me a moment's trouble since.

I wonder if someone assembling your TF forgot the seal on the servo? There's probably an O-ring in there (or should be!).

Latest posts

Back