Off Road ability of 2011 ST-X series 4

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jace d

Reaction score
Hey Guys. I have just done a trip over to the Bid Desert. I have found that it does not go as good as expected in the sand because I find that the stability control keeps kicking in even with it turned off. Am I doing something wrong here or do I just need to get use to it and be the only one in the group that can't make it up some places (even a stock prado made it up one)
I also found that it would not hold gears in 4lo and keps up shifting and then not dropping quick enough.

BTW its 2.5 td, auto, lift, bull bar and cooper st tyres.
I did have tyre pressure down to around 12 psi for the tuff stuff.

thanks

Jace

Last edited:
Tried using the 1st and 2nd gear selection rather than drive selection? You don't really want to be shifting gears when going up or down a dune etc.

Not a d40 driver and I don't like auto trans.

Rusty

Sorry did not explain that. I am using the manual part of the box. It holds gears in 4H but not in 4Lo when pushing it up a hill.

That's part of the beauty of 4WDing, unpredictability.

Years ago I had a Mitsubishi L300 4x4, all it had were 31" tyres and about 1.5" lift. I went up the border track with a mixture of Patrols, Cruisers and Hilux's, may of them had at least 1 locker and my mates Hilux had front and rear lockers. Out of all the vehicles on that trip, going up and down the dunes and through the mud, the only vehicle that didn't get stuck once was me.

Stuff happens, getting stuck is half the fun.

What your noticing isnt traction control kicking in but the stupid electronic rear diff, not much you can do

total Guess here, but it probably uses the ABS to control wheel spin, and send the power to the opposite rear wheel. You could try putting it in 4low, then after it is engaged, pull the ABS fuse, You will technically have an open diff at that stage, but you will be able to see/feel what is happening....unless the stupid computer overrides the 4x4 due to no ABS.

Apart from that, the answer is, when you feel it cut in, go to full noise(push the throttle to the floor and hold it there), as the abs will rob about 40 to 50% of the power

I've heard that ABS failures can cause full limp mode too. If that happens during an experiment, I seem to recall an ECU reset fixing this - unplug the main battery, step on the brake, plug the battery back in. Don't forget radio pin and tripmeter values.

Nissan really have gone overboard on the protection with ABS. between limp mode, not being able to select 4x4 after abs failure etc etc. Quite silly really , cause if your on top of a hill, and you loose your abs, you cant select low range, which will make the descent quite interesting.

Or just buy a d22... Fully manual transfer and everything forces you to develop driving technique, rather than rely on silly electronics to do the thinking for you. Also why I'll always buy a manual car.

Gotta agree with this ^^^^

Its getting to the stage where manufacturers put in electronic aids and overrides that are supposed to help when the going gets tough, but in some cases hinder what should be a normal obstacle.

Yeah they're pretty shit off road, the traction control (or whatever it is) just doesn't do anything that well, pretty disappointing

Maybe check the UK forums, someone might have came up with a wiring hack to bybass the traction/stability control.

That makes sense. Because I was playing in sand I was already flat out and once the Electronic rear diff kicked in it just stopped me standing. Maby a rear diff lock would help??
I guess this may just become a touring car and I should get a GQ for the harder stuff...
thanks,

Jace

ETC kicking in

My 550 was doing the same thing. Turns out it's the electronic traction control cutting in. The only way I could over ride it was to pull the ABS relay out ( under the bonnet). The light comes on the dash, but the wheels can now spin.
Only problems is the diffs are open not LSD. So poor traction.
My other STX (2008 2.5td with LSD) runs rings around the 550 off road.
Awaiting Air Lockers air the moment.

I thought the whole idea of that system was to make the wheel that has got all the weight on it start to work by slowing up the wheel that is spinning effectively forcing the limo to drive the wheel with all the traction. My point is..... doesnt that make it a limo and not an open diff?

How does it go when you are on different terrain other than sand?

Im glad i bought the ST, it works great on the sand and every where else. The limo could hook up a little quicker but at least i don't have the electronic fun and games.

from those of us who went to the muster and drove the 550 we feel your pain mate
nice car for towing/touring
terrible rear diff makes it less than average off road
another reason i went for the d22
i hate being told what to do when behind the wheel
the tritons have similar issues on sand with there traction control
at least the hilux traction control is deactivated in 4 low

A set of e-lokkas front and rear would fix it, just like it would for any of our rigs. Not as much mucking around as air lokkas too - I kinda like the idea of that, as long as the electrics are reliable.

south african hardbody 3.0tds have a locking rear diff,switch by handbrake so must be electric one maybe scour ebay for busted/dead hardbody and reverse engineer the system onto later truck?

Latest posts

Back