Odometer problem D21

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kahurangi

Reaction score
I have a 1996 D21 that over the last few months has been annoying the crap out of me.
Every so often the odometer would stop working. I have taken the instrument cluster out and given it a good blow out, checked the contacts etc but it still did it. Now it has stopped completely.
This is not altogether a bad thing as i'm not using up my RUC(NZ). Everything else in the cluster works fine.
I have searched through here but found nothing appropriate for this model.
Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have a D21 manual, but Dion and Pinelli are very well versed with the D21, they'd be able to help.

If the speedo and the odometer are driven old-style (cable from gearbox/wheel) then it's likely that your cluster will need to be replaced if it's not just a repair with WD-40!

Not cable driven. Electric to the cluster.
Just drove 300km today and not a hint of movement of the odometer. Even pushing the reset knob and banging the dash does nothing.
Everything else works fine so i'm guessing electrical fault for only the odometer.

I've downloaded a D21 manual and there's only an indication of a speed sensor input to the combination meter.

It makes sense that if you know how many RPM the output shaft of the gearbox is doing then you know how fast the wheels are turning over and how fast you are travelling on the road. It then makes further sense that because you know the circumference of the wheels and the number of rotations the wheels have done, you know how far the vehicle has travelled, so that one "speed sensor" is the only input that is really required.

And THAT means your odometer part may be broken or seized, or the electrical signal to it has been interrupted. I don't know how obvious that might be on the back of the cluster.

Latest posts

Back