Noob help! Upgrade info

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanish83

Reaction score
Hi all,
I apologise up front for my lack of knowledge and the questions. All the information on this site is great- but can sometimes get confusing for us noobs! So just wanted to run a few things past anyone interested in replying.

First off- I am driving a D40 2013 Spain Built- living in brisbane.

Exhaust- Got quoted $1200 for an xforce 3" with muff and cat, turbo back. Is that good? Do i even need it as I read I may have a 2.5 mandrel from factory and just need a hi-flow muff?

Snorkel- went to ARB and got quoted for Safari snorkel and install about $730 odd bucks.

Roofracks- ARB again, track system with Rhino racks, installed. $800 odd.

If anyone has any advice on where else to try out or if these are decent prices your opinion would be appreciated.

I just have to sort out when but getting suspension kit through Zordo's- so off to a good start I feel!

Thanks in advance

Technically you shouldn't need the exhaust. Once the exhaust gas has passed beyond the turbine and is in the dump pipe it's history. However, there have been claims of better power, economy and sound with a larger exhaust. Is it worth the $? Not for me personally, but I also have a DPF so my exhaust would be more complex and therefore more costly.

Safari and Airtec are the two major players. Safari has the big knuckle head that you can turn backwards in a downpour instead of relying on the airbox to drain fast enough. Both have very good UV stability unlike many of the knock-offs. You might save money on a cheap imitation, but you'll need to garage it permanently so the plastic doesn't deteriorate.

If ARB are going to drill your roof to fit those racks then go for it, but make sure they use Sikaflex (the brand) sealer in and around the holes. That stuff sticks like poo to a blanket. Holes should be as close as they can manage to structural areas (A pillar and C pillar) to assist with managing the weight on the roof. The alternative involves clamps that go past the upper door seal, but you run the risk of the clamps causing damage to the paintwork (with the eventual rust) as the doors move against the clamps.

Roof loading: your car should have a dynamic load rating of 95Kg. That includes bars, clamps, rails, trays, boxes or however you intend to carry stuff. The static load is something like 3 times that amount, so a rooftop tent is viable as long as you don't exceed (racks = 10Kg, tent = 25Kg leaving 250Kg for two people plus their kit, phones, change of clothes, bed linen etc).

There's no point me giving you advice on suspension. If Zordo doesn't know something about suspension, it's because it isn't worth knowing. He'll ask you the questions about intended loads, intended driving surfaces etc, so he'll be able to point you at the best mix of springs + shocks.

Welcome to the forum mate. Your off to a flying start in my opinion.
It certainly seems confusing and i guess frustrating reading thru pages of info on different things but everyone here is great and always cheerful and happy to help - unlike some of the Facebook pages ive seen.
Tony's onto it as always with his reply although I'd debate the ram spun around idea, not saying it's wrong, just im pretty certain the safaris have a air/water separator. I think 'round the $700 mark for the snorkel is pushing it but they are definitely a top bit of gear and assure you that you'll be very happy. Just if you do decide to go water crossing, the air box has a couple extra drain holes i know arb won't seal, just be mindful of these.
Also it's a great feeling knowing you've installed things yourself and will save you a couple hundred for the next item.

Thank you gents! your replies are greatly appreciated.
I am happy to pay a bit more for good gear and get it done right the first time- so sounds like Safari is the way to go for the snorkel.

I did also hear the clamps can ruin your paintwork and can run into trouble if you have a load on that can be effected by wind. Thanks for the advice- will make sure I ask about the Sikaflex on install.

I also did get an aftermarket nudge that I will install myself, only plan on beach driving at the moment so didnt feel i would need the full bullbar at this stage. Saved a bit of cash as well!

I will do some more investigation on the exhaust before making any more plans- see what I really need and dont need.

Thanks again!

If you're doing beach work, the money that you save in bar work could be invested in Maxx Traxx and a long-handled shovel, but definitely consider 4x recovery hooks and an equalisation strap.

As for the ram spun around - I have an Airtec myself, I prefer the cleaner line it gives, but I've heard several Safari owners provide that ability as the reason for owning that snorkel in preference to the Airtec, since you can't turn the head of the Airtec snorkel around.

Just my 2 cents worth regarding the safari snorkel. I was told it could be spun around in very dusty conditions ?? Would also work in heavy down pours.

Hi mate, I think the price of the roof racks are a little pricey, I got a quote down close to $700 form arb. The clamp on ones are pretty good for the price $300 odd for Rhino , I have a set on my current D40 and my previous D40 and no damage to the paint work. Also consider underbody protection as the radiator is too exposed when off road.

Cheers Justo

Shop around recently had rhino heavy duty square tube racks fitted on rail for about $600 from opposite lock in WA. The racks without fitting are worth about $400.
Slight hum heard at about 100kmh .

Thanks again all for your comments- making the process a heap easier!
Apart from the aftermarket nudge- I will hijack my own thread, can move it to another area if needed though.

These are the 2 supports I have for the nudge, the left hand side sits where there are 2 threaded holes in the chassis already- but the bolts I got from the supplier dont fit the thread. Just wondering if I screw straight into those threaded holes, is that all I need?
On the right hand support having trouble finding the holes in the chassis, anyone know if this side might need a bolt and nut? And how do i get the nut inside? Sorry again for the beginner questions- but I am stuck and didnt get a reply from the supplier today... funny that.

Attachments

• IMAG0596.jpg
    IMAG0596.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Back