No power from 3L

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F6turbo

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have recently purchased a 06 D22 Navara with the 3L Diesel and I need help before I take it to Nissan. There is no power at all from this engine, like the turbo is not even boosting. I have gone over it and it is making boost but this is not translating into power. There is no point taking the engine over 2k rpm as it does not make any more power after that but will rev past that.

I have read here that the boost sensor could be a possible culprit. Blocked cat, blocked fuel filter? This is really annoying, I need suggestions for a fix here please....

check the boost sensor, the voltage should be around 0.5 - 5V which corresponds to 0 to 16psi (approximately). You will need a boost guage and a voltmeter. The boost sensor has 3 terminals, one has constant 5V on it, one is connected to ground and the third is the proportional boost output. Put your meter between this variable pin and the (-) of the battery. (sorry, don't have the manual with me to tell you which pin is which, but its pretty easy to figure out). How many k's have you done?

The factory clamps tend to dig into to the hoses.

Yeah you would be able to hear it, depends on how loud the radio is.

Dave.

Cheers guys, I'll look into the boost sensor. I have only done approx 10km in it (it is not registered atm) car has just under 60,000 km on it.
No intercooler, I dont think its a boost leak (cant hear anything) but will go over it. There is no mid range kick you usually get from a turbo but it is boosting, so it is just strange.

Cheers guys, I'll look into the boost sensor. I have only done approx 10km in it (it is not registered atm) car has just under 60,000 km on it.
No intercooler, I dont think its a boost leak (cant hear anything) but will go over it. There is no mid range kick you usually get from a turbo but it is boosting, so it is just strange.

Is this the first time you've driven a turbo diesel?

Wait a minute. The D22 I drove while I waited for my D40 didn't kick in the midrange either, it was smooth power all the way up. My D40 lags below about 1800-2000rpm then brings it on hard from there up.

Maybe yours is just the standard D22 setup?

Wait a minute. The D22 I drove while I waited for my D40 didn't kick in the midrange either, it was smooth power all the way up. My D40 lags below about 1800-2000rpm then brings it on hard from there up.

Maybe yours is just the standard D22 setup?

Thats what im saying, with a user name like F6TORNADO maybe you think a ZD30 should boost like a petrol turbo intercooled engine. ZD30's usually have a fairly smooth torque curve with peak power produced at about 3200rpm (maybe wrong but mine does on the dyno with DP chip). Diesels just dont "boost" like a petrol engine.

HA...its actually F6turbo, I own a Falcon XR6 turbo but I have driven a few turbo diesels to know how they go (this D22 is our 3rd turbo diesel in our immediate family).

Imagine this, 4th gear doin 75kmh today up a slight hill i put the throttle all the way down for a good 5 secs. The car did not gain 1kmh, this is not normal.

Sounds like there's room for improvement. The little 4-banger diesels don't accelerate well up hill, that's true. Uphill acceleration comes from ponies, and there aren't a lot under these without installing an LS1 (hiya Scotty!) or something from the Cummins range.

If the hosing is intact, the boost sensor might need attention and if that isn't it, I'd start looking at fuel. If the thing's seen too much biodiesel there's a chance that the innards are gunked up, these things were not made for bio. A significant blockage in the fuel filter will allow the vehicle to operate normally under light loads but appear weak under harder acceleration. The ZD30 should give you some black smoke when you put your foot to the boards, especially at lower rpm. If that's missing I'd be heading to the fuel filter first, then maybe checking the fuel pump for blockages/corrosion. If you find any, it would also pay to have the injectors serviced.

.......... I have gone over it and it is making boost but this is not translating into power. There is no point taking the engine over 2k rpm as it does not make any more power after that but will rev past that.
considering that these have a 3000-3500 rpm power band no more power above 2000rpm is fairly bad.

how much boost is it making?

could be boost sensor which is easy enough to replace and see if it fixes it.
could also be blocked fuel filter.
failing that theres a heaps of other things eg egr stuck open, blocked exhaust or intake. cam timing shifted, poor injectors and or pump.

Yep same in all gears, no lights on the dash. It went upto about 10psi revving it in neutral, hose connected straight to the comp housing on the turbo. I took the hose that goes from the comp housing to the wategate off just incase the gate was opening too early but it made no difference.

I jumped straight to the turbo because it does not feel like it is there, i know it is not going to be a monster with only 110kw but if i had to guess i would say it is making 30-40kw atm. Starts fine, idles fine it does not blow any smoke though. I'll do the fuel filter first and see how we go.

not sure about connecting boost gauge to turbo. try connecting to boost sensor line.
you should hit 15psi at around 3k while in neutral stomping the throttle.
10psi sounds low so i would not suspect fuel system to start with. more than likely boost sensor failure or dirty.

The wastegate takes the boost reading where i hooked it up to so im sure thats ok. I didnt try to get the max amount of boost i could from it, just made sure the turbo was working and actually producing boost. I assume it would go to 15 as you say if I pushed it, but even if it just running 10 pounds it would go better then it is now.

I will start with the fuel filter as it will be the cheapest option and might as well change it who knows when it was done last.

HA...its actually F6turbo, I own a Falcon XR6 turbo but I have driven a few turbo diesels to know how they go (this D22 is our 3rd turbo diesel in our immediate family).

Imagine this, 4th gear doin 75kmh today up a slight hill i put the throttle all the way down for a good 5 secs. The car did not gain 1kmh, this is not normal.

Sorry mate, I misread. 4th gear up a hill, put your foot down and it doesn't take off like a rocket ship? Hmm.

I am not comparing this car to my XR6, it was unable to take off what so ever at 2-2.5k rpm. My old mans 75kw 2.5L TDI van is MUCH faster then this D22 and that is not a fast car by any means. There is an obvious problem with a lack of power, if it is not fixed by the time i rego this car I will post a vid up to show you.

Latest posts

Back