Newbie to Navaras, and need some help lol

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_82

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well im currently in the market for a D22 ST-R Navara, and would like some feed back on things to look out for and problems that are common to occur with this vehicle..
I have found a 2003 ST-R manual turbo Diesel with 132000ks its got a 3” lift kit and a 2” body lift with 33” tyres and is asking $21k, body looks like its in pretty good condition from the photos.. Also, what is the fuel economy like with them?
Im going to inspect it on Monday.. is this a fair asking price? Is there anything I should look out for?
If i get it i plan on changing all of the oils (motor, gearbox and diffs) is there anything else i shouls replace while im at it? and whats the best oils you you guys recommend??

I am mechanically minded but when it comes to 4x4’s im lost lol. This will be my first “true” 4X4, In saying that I did own a 07 SR5 Hilux 4x4 but it was city spec (22” Chrome rims and packed full of audio/visual gear) and it never went off road.

This is going to be a pretty big step for me lol, ive just sold my Mazda 3 MPS with over 310hp at the front wheels, so the power difference is going to kill me lol..

sorry for the 1001 questions, but I will never know if I dont ask lol :)

Look forward to your responses!!

Cheers Ryan

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

If that rig isn't chipped you'll possibly be disappointed. While I don't mind the power of a D22 (I had a drive of several while I was waiting for my D40 to arrive) a few people here will attest to my rather sedate driving style, so a lack of power in the city isn't a problem for me anyway.

The D22s are rugged vehicles and make good off-roaders - not saying the D40 can't do it, but the D22s get out there and get dirty just fine. It will struggle towing, especially on hills, due to the reduced engine power.

If you're going to change oils, also change the coolant and consider wasting some brake fluid. There should be engine oil, gearbox oil, transfer case oil, 2x diff oils.

Is it a fair price? According to the Redbook page for the 2003 D22 you should expect to pay about $8400 on a private sale.

Welcome mate.

Fuel consumption will be around 10L/100km's give or take abit. Not much difference.

Do you need the lift and the 33's ?

Is it a fair price? According to the Red Book, you should expect to pay about $8400 on a private sale.

That might be what Redbook say, BUT! I guarantee you, you wont find one for that price. I would have thought maybe $17k - $19k for a 2003 with average km's, and in good condition. he might want more because of the mod's but.

Last edited:
I disagree with old Tony i tow a 23 ft caravan and sit on speed limit without a problem and mine is stock no chip or anything i am very happy with the performance . Just hate the bloody clutch in them.
cheers phil

I've got an 03 D22 3.0l and tow my boat no probs, but it likes a drink when I do tow. I don't mind the power, but more would be nice, and..... With the 33s you'll have even less power as Tony has eluded to. Sounds well set up for going off road, be sure checking the usual bits that wear offroad. As for price, it sounds a little high. Check my garage and you'll see what I got for $19k almost 2 years ago, I'd be going in low if you really want it. They do hold their value well though so I'd pay a fair price for a fair truck. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back