New Retreads

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samcubus

Reaction score
So I took a gamble today and bought 4 retreads 275/70/16

I found a company in marrickville that has been doing retreads for years with a solid warranty and seeing as i have a work ute and i dont drive the nav every day i thought 400 for 4 tyres and an alignment front and back was worth the dollars seeing as i wouldnt even get 2 mickeys for that price.

The mud terrain tread is pretty hectic to cant wait to test them out properly.

i will let you know how they go as a off roader.

ill post up some pics tomorrow of the tyres also.

sorry to but in but are re treads legal? coz as far as i know in vic there illegal?

As far as i knew they are legal in Vic. Has the law changed recently for some reason?

I,m with you, i havn,t heard of any law changes, While i wouldn,t use them, I did years ago when i was young, At least i had roadworthy tyres

Retreads are legal in Vic anywhere other than on the steer axle of a truck as far as I remember the rules to be.

We used to run retreads on the rears of the trucks and it's hard to say just how viable they were to save dollars because we didn't have that many throw the tread but hardly a week went by where we didn't have to replace a tyre. I wouldn't trust retreads in the bush that's for sure.

A couple of guys I know run retread mud tyres on the play trucks without having any issues except that they can be a bit harder to balance for highway speeds.

I wouldn't run them on an everyday driver rig I used to carry the family around in but on a weekend play toy I don't see the problem.

Throwing tread is a heat issue and going through water and mud with recap muddies isn't going to cause the sort of heat that high speed highway running does.

Throwing a tread can be caused by a lot of different issues, heat may well be one of them but rough surfaces, pot holes, rocks, flexing etc could all easily cause a tread to separate and it wouldn't pay to be stuck half way up a steep incline with a tread separating.

Throwing a tread can be caused by a lot of different issues, heat may well be one of them but rough surfaces, pot holes, rocks, flexing etc could all easily cause a tread to separate and it wouldn't pay to be stuck half way up a steep incline with a tread separating.

A properly prepared recap put upon a suitable casing won't separate merely due to tread flexing, they are more subject to side impacts however that's the choice one makes if running them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say they are as good as new tyres because they simply aren't however they do perform better than partly worn tyres but it comes with the slightly increased risk of failure.

Basically ya pays ya money and ya takes ya choice.

If people are buying in the recap market then they're possibly buying in the 2nd hand tyre market, I'd take a new recap over a 2nd hand tyre and a new one over either but your choice may be different.

The reason i diseided to go for retreads was because i have a work ute and realy only take the nav out when i want to. This means i dont really hit the road unless im heading to a trail or round the corner.
I did hit the hunter valley last 2 days so did alot of kms on and off road hit up pokolbin state forest.
overall i am very happy with the tyres so far.

DSC06139.JPG

Latest posts

Back