New guy from Newcastle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethann

Reaction score
New guy from Newcastle - update on issue!

Hi,

My names brad, I like long walks on the beach, candle lit supas...and I'm looking to get my thing we....

..Hang on wrong site.

Haha.
Anyway, hey fellas, my names Ethan from the Newcastle/hunter valley area haha.
Just traded my 2011 WRX for a 09' D40, much more suited to my lifestyle and loving it.

Has started to do the engine stalling issue, will be doing some more searching on here to find more info before taking it back next week.

Only basic mods on the list, lights, UHF, bluetooth stereo, window tiny, canopy, etc.

Main purpose will be towing my buggy once I finish it :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Welcome Brad.

A few of the D40 guys will help you soon.

Enjoy the site, you might even find a guy on here to share that candle lit dinner with. Haha. I hear Krafty is easy. Haha.

Hey mate welcome, was just reading your intro thinking this guy! Haha anyway I personally haven't experienced engine stalling problems so I'm curious what is the issue myself.. If it helps its not a common thing so I hope it will be an easy fix and get your Nav back ASAP once it goes to get repairs.. Good luck bud

Welcome to the forum!

Another local? Hope you have a tent/swag/something to stay in, coz we have gone away a couple of times and bloody enjoyed it.

And don't worry about Dave. He drives a fuggin' Isuzu.

As for the stalling issue - depends on how it occurs. A search might help, but telling us a little more about it won't hurt either.

Welcome Brad.

A few of the D40 guys will help you soon.

Enjoy the site, you might even find a guy on here to share that candle lit dinner with. Haha. I hear Krafty is easy. Haha.
Cheers, already finding heaps of useful information :)
Krafty hey ;)

Hello and welcome, nice nav, what running gear have you got planned for the buggy
Cheers,
Lexus 1uz, C4 with manualised reverse shift with a LT230 transfer.
Front diff is a 4.88 GQ centre with FJ80 knuckles
Rear diff is 4.88 9.5" Cruiser centre with FJ80 knuckles.

Will probably chuck more pics and info up in the members section sometime soon when I start I thread for my Nav/buggy :)

Welcome to the mad house, be careful of some of the inmates, D22 owner bite easily. Mwahaha
Haha! Thanks for the warning :p :rofl2:

Hey mate welcome, was just reading your intro thinking this guy! Haha anyway I personally haven't experienced engine stalling problems so I'm curious what is the issue myself.. If it helps its not a common thing so I hope it will be an easy fix and get your Nav back ASAP once it goes to get repairs.. Good luck bud
Haha :p
Hard to explain the issue, but just say if I stall it (trying to be to gentle I guess haha) and restart it straight away it runs super rough similar to when you bleed the injectors, turn it off wait 5 seconds and it'll be fine 95% of the time, have had to restart it a second time once. Also occasionally does it if I turn it off and start it back up 10 minutes later, quick restart when its fine.

And was reversing the trailer up the drive way and stalled it (oops), went to start again and it started then stalled, started again and just had no acceleration then stalled, opened the bonnet to see if I could find the primer (No clue where it is, spanish built 2009..from what I've searched they have some crazy fuel system or something haha?) left it for a couple minutes, started it and acted normal.

Possibly the Suction cap valve?
Would just like a bit of an idea then when I take it back I have ammo and not without it for too long because I'm loving the ute now! So much more convenient.

Welcome to the forum!

Another local? Hope you have a tent/swag/something to stay in, coz we have gone away a couple of times and bloody enjoyed it.

And don't worry about Dave. He drives a fuggin' Isuzu.

As for the stalling issue - depends on how it occurs. A search might help, but telling us a little more about it won't hurt either.
Sounds good! Will keep an eye on the trips section :)

Been searching abit, didn't want to be the newbie asking questions if I can get answers from searching.

Air from around the fuel filter area seems to be common?

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas!

If it's only happening after stalling the motor I doubt it'll be air. A leak on the suction side fo the pump usually results in the car not wanting to start in the morning. A stall might introduce more fuel into the chamber than the engine is happy with, but that should disappear as soon as the engine fires (on all cylinders). Does it happen ONLY with a hot engine, or mostly when the engine is not up to temp? If it's cold-sensitive it could be glow plugs.

The primer bulb is in the fuel line that loops below the fuel filter. Let me attach a pic of my engine bay ...

attachment.php

I removed the big black cover to make it easier to see things then I hosed it down so it looked shiny.

Attachments

• IMG_20130414_145450-resized.jpg
    IMG_20130414_145450-resized.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 10,550
If it's only happening after stalling the motor I doubt it'll be air. A leak on the suction side fo the pump usually results in the car not wanting to start in the morning. A stall might introduce more fuel into the chamber than the engine is happy with, but that should disappear as soon as the engine fires (on all cylinders). Does it happen ONLY with a hot engine, or mostly when the engine is not up to temp? If it's cold-sensitive it could be glow plugs.

The primer bulb is in the fuel line that loops below the fuel filter. Let me attach a pic of my engine bay ...

I removed the big black cover to make it easier to see things then I hosed it down so it looked shiny.

This morning it started fine, few times turned on and off fine, got to the local shop, grabbed a few things. Hoped in to start it and it done it about 3 times :(

4th time it started up fine, once it starts its fine, it runs like a dream! This arvo it done it again, which I managed to grab a video before shutting it down, I realised this time there was alot of smoke. But it was dark so couldn't tell what color it was.
http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l...37F3EA-21860-0000137CD3EA845F_zps33ad921c.mp4
(Not sure if it shows how rough its running in the video?)

After, started up fine and ran like a dream again.

Now just a few minutes ago, had to move it to the front lawn at the missus parents place. Which they have a fairly steep drive way, again trying to be to gentle I stalled, which resulted in starting up and stalling by its self (not able to rev it), happened 3 times then I left it for 30seconds - a minute and it started up fine and moved onto the lawn like nothing was wrong.

So yep, at this stage it only does it while its hot.
So embarressing :(

Thanks for the picture Tony, I'll check out the primer bulb in the morning incase I need to get familar with it :(
Hopefully get it booked in next week to be fixed! Although could be holding my breathe since it was from a Toyota dealer ship lol.

This morning it started fine, few times turned on and off fine, got to the local shop, grabbed a few things. Hoped in to start it and it done it about 3 times :(

4th time it started up fine, once it starts its fine, it runs like a dream! This arvo it done it again, which I managed to grab a video before shutting it down, I realised this time there was alot of smoke. But it was dark so couldn't tell what color it was.
http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l...37F3EA-21860-0000137CD3EA845F_zps33ad921c.mp4
(Not sure if it shows how rough its running in the video?)

After, started up fine and ran like a dream again.

Now just a few minutes ago, had to move it to the front lawn at the missus parents place. Which they have a fairly steep drive way, again trying to be to gentle I stalled, which resulted in starting up and stalling by its self (not able to rev it), happened 3 times then I left it for 30seconds - a minute and it started up fine and moved onto the lawn like nothing was wrong.

So yep, at this stage it only does it while its hot.
So embarressing :(

Thanks for the picture Tony, I'll check out the primer bulb in the morning incase I need to get familar with it :(
Hopefully get it booked in next week to be fixed! Which I could be holding my breathe as it was a Toyota dealer ship lol.

A low post count meant that the post was held for approval because of the link. One of the other admins must have come along and approved it.

If it's only happening when it's hot you can discount the glow plugs, relays and fuses. It could be the SCV on the fuel pump - they've been a little problematic from 2007 to 2010. I doubt it's the fuel rail pressure sensor, but I wonder if the car had (or has) a chip and if there was any issues with it or its removal - like damage to the harness, throttle assembly etc.

If you take it for a drive at 80km/h and plant your foot hard, does it suddenly have a large loss of power? That would be the SCV.

Hi ethann. I had this same problem a while back with my D22 and didn't have a clue why it was doing it. It will probably get worse and stop on day while driving. Mine did that at a set of lights. Did some research and found that if the fuel filter has been changed ie service etc and the ECU hasn't been reset it can play up like this. I reset my ECU and it hasn't done it since. Apparently nissan reset it if they change the filter but if its done privately they may not have done it. Something to do with fuel rail pressure as the filter gets dirty. I read it on the forum somewhere. This worked for me anyway.

Cheers

Hi ethann. I had this same problem a while back with my D22 and didn't have a clue why it was doing it. It will probably get worse and stop on day while driving. Mine did that at a set of lights. Did some research and found that if the fuel filter has been changed ie service etc and the ECU hasn't been reset it can play up like this. I reset my ECU and it hasn't done it since. Apparently nissan reset it if they change the filter but if its done privately they may not have done it. Something to do with fuel rail pressure as the filter gets dirty. I read it on the forum somewhere. This worked for me anyway.

Cheers

That's a handy thing to know Navmania good bit of info. Do you know how to do the reset?

Fastest ECU reset technique is as follows:

1) Write down TRIP meter values if you use for recording distance per fuel tank.
2) Get your radio PIN handy if you have one that needs a PIN
3) Remove the battery negative terminal
4) Put your foot on the brake pedal
5) Put the battery lead back on (securely) - reset complete!

That's a handy thing to know Navmania good bit of info. Do you know how to do the reset?

Hi LLandar. There is a thread on the reset procedure for the D22. This is the one off one of the threads that I copied to my phone notepad just incase I need it. It works fine.

ECU Reset
1. Ignition "ON", count to 3.
2. Depress/Release pedal 5 times...hard and fast.
3. Count to 10 (not 7!) and fully depress pedal
4. Count to 12 (SES should be blinking), release pedal
5. Count to 10, depress pedal
6. Count to 10, release pedal.
7. Turn off ignition, then start engine. Done!

Cheers

Hi LLandar. There is a thread on the reset procedure for the D22. This is the one off one of the threads that I copied to my phone notepad just incase I need it. It works fine.

ECU Reset
1. Ignition "ON", count to 3.
2. Depress/Release pedal 5 times...hard and fast.
3. Count to 10 (not 7!) and fully depress pedal
4. Count to 12 (SES should be blinking), release pedal
5. Count to 10, depress pedal
6. Count to 10, release pedal.
7. Turn off ignition, then start engine. Done!

Cheers

Good work Navmania, that's good info for people to know. Does anyone know if there is a similar procedure for my new 3ltr V6?

Cheers

Hey Navmania,
Thanks for the reply, sounds very similar.
I read this about a week ago and googled to reset computer but i was in a rush and didnt get the stages complete properly and thought I'd do it later.
Well to be honest, I have been pretty busy haha. I tried Tony's reset procudure (just disconnceted the battery over night) but I didn't press the brake pedal? Not sure if that didn't complete the process or not?

But it's still doing it :( done it about 10 bloody times at the shopping centre the other day.
Will try your reset procedure in the morning before work and see how that goes.

Either way it's booked in to be dropped off at the dealer I got it from on Monday morning, getting a loan car for the time being, hope its something cool haha.

welcome ethan
Thanks Sparra.

Sorry for the delay in reply, been flat out! Took the Navara for it's first camping trip last weekend. Pretty basic camping trip, but just rolled the swag out in the back. Loved it!

On the list, Lights, uhf, dual batteries (Maybe even a third? 80L fridge to run haha)

Latest posts

Back