neutral position switch

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unsteadm

Reaction score
Hi guys just wondering if had a few probs with loosing power in third gear and unplugged nps and has solved the problem however since unplugging nps i know have really bad fuel economy. My question is does the nps have anything to do eith fuel economy?
My car is a d22 2.5 2010.
Kind regards Matt

Not that i know of. I disconnected my nps and it hasnt had any effect on fuel usage. I have a 06 zd30 though

you can unplug it and drive fine but even if you dont get a Engine Malfuction Light for doing so, its a sensor which sends informarion to the ecu on whether you are in neutrial or not so it can adjust fuel delivery on idle, removing it just leaves the circuit open so always replace it, doesnt even cost much.
you also cant use heat switch so it definately has some affect on some electrical circuits.

Hmmmm I replaced mine and I'm still having issues with it ! It's like it's starving for fuel and wont "rev out".. I was wondering if it is this filter mesh in the injector pump? it's a stretch I know but it has me fcuked !

I had the NPS replaced on my 2003 ZD30. Seemed all right until I put a bit of weight in the back.
Seems to me like the clutch is slipping between 2nd and 3rd gears.
Not sure what is going on. All seems fine when I get into 4th an then into 5th.
I'm thinking it's the clutch but maybe I"m wrong.
Any suggestions.
Cheers

Hmmmm I replaced mine and I'm still having issues with it ! It's like it's starving for fuel and wont "rev out".. I was wondering if it is this filter mesh in the injector pump? it's a stretch I know but it has me fcuked !

Any smoke at full song? Does it pour any black out as the revs climb?

Revs are limited by the fuel delivery, air delivery (most common), injection timing (CAS alignment or CAMS alignment) or component failure (pump, fuel/air filters, turbocharger, wastegate control (stuck open = no go), blocked exhaust, faulty EGR valve (holding EGR open at high throttle). Glows ok?

I had the NPS replaced on my 2003 ZD30. Seemed all right until I put a bit of weight in the back.
Seems to me like the clutch is slipping between 2nd and 3rd gears.
Not sure what is going on. All seems fine when I get into 4th an then into 5th.
I'm thinking it's the clutch but maybe I"m wrong.
Any suggestions.
Cheers

Clutch won't just slip between particular gears in the midrange, if it's going to slip it'll slip in higher gears. Test: get the car into 4th gear climbing a mild incline and put your foot to the floor. If the RPM rises and the car doesn't accelerate, the clutch is slipping, back it off and get it looked at. Might not be a worn clutch, a leaking rear main seal can cause it too.

If the revs stay tight with the car's speed then it's something else. more description about the symptoms will help (otherwise we have to make assumptions and that may not be helpful).

Any smoke at full song? Does it pour any black out as the revs climb?

Revs are limited by the fuel delivery, air delivery (most common), injection timing (CAS or CAMS alignment)ment or component failure (pump, fuel/air filters, turbocharger, wastegate control (stuck open = no go), blocked exhaust, faulty EGR valve (holding EGR open at high throttle). Glows ok?

Howdy ol'tony,
Well it's only when I have tried to "over take" that I have noticed it -so I haven't had the chance to see any smoke! I drive like an ol'mole 90% of the time so I don't notice it- I have a great spot to test it now so I will give you some more info tomorrow.
Glows got done with injectors and timing chain 10'000k's ago.
I have done the egr mod(both).
Exhaust is 3'' .
Wastegate maybe flying open @ that rev range! I will keep an eye on the gauge tomorrow.
Turbo is maybe 1000k's old (Forefront eng.)
Filters done, air filter done.
(CAS or CAMS alignment) What are these you speak of stranger , an instrument or component ! tell me more..
I was thinking fuel feed too , but it happens to sudden! you can back off slowly and does nothing but coast at say"half throttle but let off completely and back on the gas and away she goes.. This ute I tell you, it just goes on and on! :deadhorse:

By the way - I think (the site) should change the horse in that "flogging a dead horse" with a navara ! At least the horse is reliable lol

Thanks for the replies guys. I do have every intention of swapping it for a new just havent had the time yet so its only unplugged for the time being. I was just hoping this would be the cause of the bad fuel economy.

Clutch won't just slip between particular gears in the midrange, if it's going to slip it'll slip in higher gears. Test: get the car into 4th gear climbing a mild incline and put your foot to the floor. If the RPM rises and the car doesn't accelerate, the clutch is slipping, back it off and get it looked at. Might not be a worn clutch, a leaking rear main seal can cause it too.

If the revs stay tight with the car's speed then it's something else. more description about the symptoms will help (otherwise we have to make assumptions and that may not be helpful).

Thanks Tony for the info. I'm not sure about whether the clutch is slipping or not. It just seems that way.
There seems to be a bit of a lag in acceleration between the gears.
I've just done a 1500k round trip and it's ok once the old girl is in 5th.
The problem seems to be when I take off from a set of lights and shift into 3rd when it seems to be lacking on some power. Revs go up but I don't seem to be getting any great forward motion.
cheers
Cliff

Thanks Tony for the info. I'm not sure about whether the clutch is slipping or not. It just seems that way.
The problem seems to be when I take off from a set of lights and shift into 3rd when it seems to be lacking on some power. Revs go up but I don't seem to be getting any great forward motion.
cheers
Cliff

That's fairly typical of a NPS fault. Try this: in third gear, continue accelerating and gently push the gear lever to one side then the other. If the performance returns, your NPS is faulty. If it is, it's odd that it's happened so soon after replacement - unless they messed up and put the old NPS back in!

Howdy ol'tony,
Well it's only when I have tried to "over take" that I have noticed it -so I haven't had the chance to see any smoke! I drive like an ol'mole 90% of the time so I don't notice it- I have a great spot to test it now so I will give you some more info tomorrow.
Glows got done with injectors and timing chain 10'000k's ago.
I have done the egr mod(both).
Exhaust is 3'' .
Wastegate maybe flying open @ that rev range! I will keep an eye on the gauge tomorrow.
Turbo is maybe 1000k's old (Forefront eng.)
Filters done, air filter done.
(CAS or CAMS alignment) What are these you speak of stranger , an instrument or component ! tell me more..
I was thinking fuel feed too , but it happens to sudden! you can back off slowly and does nothing but coast at say"half throttle but let off completely and back on the gas and away she goes.. This ute I tell you, it just goes on and on! :deadhorse:

CAS is the Crank Angle Sensor and the CAMS should properly have been called the CMPS - Camshaft Position Sensor. If they're out of alignment, loose or being interfered with by debris, they'll cause all sorts of fun.

What's worse is that sometimes those sensors are fine, it's the electrical connector that's dirty/oxidised. Happens sometimes after pressure-washing the engine bay.

cheers
Cliff

Hmmmok, sounds different to mine. Mine get's to about 4'ooo rpm's in third then bang-like you have let the foot off the throttle, Then at 3'5oo rpm's in 4th the same thing. No black smoke no drop of boost ? If I keep my foot flat on the gas it will slowly gain rpm's and boost but like i'm at half throttle..
Sorry to interrupt "Oldie" but this post grabbed my attention and I thought you maybe having "the same issues" as "I".. cheers vic

CAS is the Crank Angle Sensor and the CAMS should properly have been called the CMPS - Camshaft Position Sensor. If they're out of alignment, loose or being interfered with by debris, they'll cause all sorts of fun.

What's worse is that sometimes those sensors are fine, it's the electrical connector that's dirty/oxidised. Happens sometimes after pressure-washing the engine bay.

Ahhhhok good to know- just replaced the fan belt pulley wheel and that little hydraulic tensioner that lost all it's oil everywhere !
And I do like a clean motor! a gov'! ;)
I will look at that tomorrow ,cheers vic

Just put the new nps in tonight. Your cheap and easy to do. $65 from dealership and 10 mins to change over. Hopefully fuel economy is back now.
Thanks again for your help

Latest posts

Back