My so called 3" lift

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan-0

Reaction score
After many of weeks debating to go the cheap 2" lift or splurge on the 3" lift I decided to take advantage of the Snake Racing Xmas special and go the 3" lift. Im not new to lifting 4x4s as I have had 3 utes and 2 Patrols with quite a bit of suspension work done.

Upper control arms
Creates more room for the upper bump stop, hence a little bit more travel.

extended HD shocks
I just went ebay 2" extended Blupac HD shocks. APPARENTLY they come from the Dobinson factory. I went 2" because there are not many 3" navara shocks (expensive) and the whole 3" would not be used.

idler arm brace
Extra strength when the front wheels lift off the ground and reduces vibration from bigger tyres.

I lifted the front first by putting the arms and shocks in. This does NOT lift the car. To raise it I wound the torsion bars up to a safe height. As you can see my CVs are already on a angle.
IMG_1457.jpg

This is the amount of lift I got. Those are standard 265/70 tyres. Barely 2" of lift without having the CVs on too much of an unsafe angle.
IMG_1454.jpg

I didnt bother installing the rear extended shackles as the car sits even now.
IMG_1456.jpg

I did not bother with the extended brake lines as the factory ones are more then sufficient. Only get HD torsion bars IF you have a heavy steel bar and winch, 2nd battery etc. You need alot of weight up front for HD bars to be effective. Without the weight your ride is VERY stiff and you get no articulation. DO NOT wind your CVs up too high other wise they pop out, snap or the rubber boot wears out from rubbing.

I believe you may get 3" out of these lifts BUT at the cost of a stiff, unsafe CV angled ride.

If your wondering why I am so opinionated about the d22 lift, my friend fell for the more expensive complete kit and his d22 may sit an inch higher then mine but his CVs are mega steep (and make cracking sounds off road), his braided brake lines dont get used, and he has no weight so the HD torsion bars make going off road very stiff and uncomfortable.

I hope some people find my thread informative and answer many questions, to go 2" or 3" lifts?

Good stuff, but there two points I disagree with, HD torsion bars should allow the front suspension to give excellent down travel, but will limit the up travel because of the extra stiffness of the spring. I noticed this effect when I had an extra leaf put in my leaf pack. But that being said, I haven't noticed a big difference in my front end articulation with HD torsion bars, and all it's supporting is a factory steel bar (~30-35kg)

Also, 3" extended shocks are a load of bull, can't comment on the stock shocks, but I know that the aftermarket shocks that come with your lifts kits have enough travel in them to allow more than 3" of droop. Anyone trying to sell 3" extended shocks for a d22 navara is talking crap.

All in all, you've provided some useful information for the new players out there looking to lift their d22. I completely agree with only winding up 2" even with the aftermarket UCA's. Comfy ride on the road, better downtravel off road, easier on the CV's during everyday driving.

Now fit a lokka to make it better :rambo:

Good post Dan.
I nearly bought the uca,s but got concerned about cv angles so I spent my money on a lokka instead. I am running 2 inch body,2 inch susp and 265/75 and am happy with the height.
I may get uca,s eventually to help wheel alignment, but that's way down the list now.

Good post Dan.
I nearly bought the uca,s but got concerned about cv angles so I spent my money on a lokka instead. I am running 2 inch body,2 inch susp and 265/75 and am happy with the height.
I may get uca,s eventually to help wheel alignment, but that's way down the list now.

I wish I didnt buy the UCS now as I dont do a great deal of off roading.
I would have got the same amount of lift with stock arms minus a bit up travel.

Would you please post a side on picture of your d22? Im considering a body lift too. I just dont like how the engine sinks into the engine bay as the body rises around it.

I recon UCAs were the best thing I've done to my car!! More capable truck off road now

ill buy ur UCA's if u dont want them now, also have u checked ur brake line at full flex with steering on full lock? might stretch then

I got 75mm lift out of mine, cv angles are ok, not perfect but have been ok. The ride is better than it was due to more down travel than the maxed out 50mm lift, the ride was good enough to pass the lane change test at 110kph.
I agree the factory brake lines and 50mm lift shocks are still ok to use.

Will a 2.5" lift change the CV angles at all? As in a bad way?

As you can see the top of my VC boots are squashed together. That means as they rotate as I drive they will eventually wear out and split. The more you wind them up for a higher lift the more they squash together. My lift is about 2" and wouldnt like to go any higher.

I considered diff drop spacers but if they are anything like my old hilux diff spacers, there is no way Im going back there!

Latest posts

Back