My D22 Drawers

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
g day chartrock. firstly nice build on the drawers mate, they look great. how long did they take to build, were you working on them full time or just in your spare time. roughly how much did they cost to build. finally, making the drawers was it one of those things that you would ever do again or was it one of those jobs thats just not worth the hassle. sorry about all the questions mate, just still contemplating if im going to attempt the build. thanks.

G'day Matty, Finally back home from Sydney. I find the best way to see Sydney is to look in my rear view mirror. :) (I grew up there & still support the Blues)
The drawers took about 3 weeks to build working part time but I would have spent about 50 hours or so including time to go buy steel, ply, carpet, bearings etc all from different places. All up I spent about $450 and I enjoyed making them and would definitely do it again if the need arises. They may not match the professional ones but they do the same job and do it well and saved me nearly 2 grand.
If you have the tools and a space to work then go for it.

Something like this is next on my hitlist.
Terrific job in finish and functionality from Chartrock.
I am looking at fabricating something lower in height, perhaps 200mm and set back from the rear by about 300mm but I love the depth of the drawers.
I'm not carrying a fridge at the moment so thats not important to me (yet) I just want 2 full length drawers with a platform above. One drawer will be for work and the other will be to stock up on weekend goodies - the back seat is bulging from everything stashed behind it. The top of the drawer system is reserved for the 2 hairy hounds that also enjoy getting out on weekends which is why I am looking at not increasing the floor height too much.
Also now that we have a "passenger" vehicle back in our household fleet I dont have to keep the rear seat so I am looking at that space for stowage of fridges and Versaci tote bags for camping.

My truck is shown elsewhere on the forum but I thought some may be interested in the drawer system I have built for the back of the ute.
The RHS steel at 25mm is probably overkill but as my other half says, I just can't think small. The timber is a very lightweight ply so did not add much to the weight. All up, without contents, it probably adds about 40kg to the truck but it has already proven its worth. Cost would be about $450 with a couple of weeks of work.

Paul

Well done mate..

Superb job.

Had draws in my old work ute but not in my nav and its bloody hard without them.

Mate that's come up a million bucks,
There's a certain sort of satisfaction you get when you tackle a job like that yourself and it comes out looking looking as professional as that, even if there is a lot of F-Bombs dropped along the way:big_smile:
Again well done.

G'day Chartrock, top job. I mad a set a few years ago for an old pathfinder i had, I used marine ply, and this worked well. not as strong as yours though. for those interested obrien's camper trailers in dandenong, sell pre made or flat packs for 2-3 or 4 drawer units, I saw these in there the other day, when looking at camper trailers. they are reasonably priced. once my canopy is on in the next few weeks I will look closely at how close the sizes are matched to the back of my d22.

Chartrock is travelling at the moment I think so he might take a while to reply.

The lucky old bugger is retired and living it up.

Dave.

Buddy the best thought out draws I have seen. You have given me some great ideas. What sort of rollers did you use, makes a lot of sense rather than trying to purchase expensive slides? Excellent stuff. I have nearly the same vehicle, 06 d22 Str 3.0lt. Flexiglass canopy and so on.

My apologies to everyone for not replying to the posts here. :sad:My last post to this thread was July 2009 and, as Dave said, I have been away on and off since then (in fact I am just back from 2 weeks at Millmerran Camp Oven Cooking Comp and then Cania Gorge. Gees it's tough being retired.:sarcastic:)
The bearings used were just ball races with 50 x 25 RHS running on them, details were shown earlier in the post. Scotty, I'll see if I still have a copy of the plans and PM you.
Thanks to all for the compliments and the drawers are still performing well.

Scotty, I'll see if I still have a copy of the plans and PM you.
Thanks to all for the compliments and the drawers are still performing well.[/QUOTE]

great job
i am tossing up wether to buy a set or build my self
my problem is i havent really got the room to build at home
would you consider building another set for sale ? (2010 d22)
if you do find your plans i will happily pay for a copy ?
thanks

keep in mind the new D22's tubs are about 100mm longer...

This is my drawers (same model, 09 STR). I think I have the CAD plans somewhere

Attachments

• IMAG0147.jpg
    IMAG0147.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 375
Fantastic drawers. I would love a copy of the plans if some one is willing to PM me (or if they can be posted on here).
Thanks in advance, Leigh

Great job. Thinking of doing something similar for my D40 but only half length to where the wheel arches finish. If I get around to it I hope it turns out as good as yours.

Scotty, I'll see if I still have a copy of the plans and PM you.
Thanks to all for the compliments and the drawers are still performing well.

great job
thanks[/QUOTE]

I will be building a set of drawers early in the new year Sparra, if you haven't done anything by then i could build 2 sets at once.

great job
thanks

I will be building a set of drawers early in the new year Sparra, if you haven't done anything by then i could build 2 sets at once.[/QUOTE]

I can see a group buy coming on ! Would they be cheaper if you built 3 sets ?

Being a cabinet maker i would probably build mine first to get it right. I can tell you though that when ordering drawer runners and ply etc etc. The more ordered the cheaper i can get them for.

Any updates Paul ?

Hi Dave, we have just returned from 3 months touring WA with a Jayco Expanda in tow. Great trip with few problems (gas system packed up again and D-Das has gone belly up) but the drawers went very well. The only thing lacking is, I never fitted any locking arrangement on the drawers, so, when on sloping ground the drawers either wont stay open or closed depending on the slope. No big deal but something to sort out, otherwise very happy with them.

Current project is a roof console, partially built, just needs to be wired up and fitted. So many other things to be done as well. Retirement is hell. :sarcastic:

Latest posts

Back