modded xr6 intercooler into the 03 str

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks guys I have a few engineer mates and have tee'd up a weekend over chrissy to some work on my nav

I should be able to find someone to weld it on i just thought i may be able to find an off the shelf item.

Cheers guys and Charlie i will look in you diy thread!

just finished mine today, home made job but turned out pretty good, used a big intercooler I had left over from one me race cars but def rekon the xr6 intercooler would of been easier the way the out lets are :)
973e95cb.jpg

21f04b86.jpg

abac5ff3.jpg

Has anyone fitted the xr6 intercooler with a winch and genuine steel bar?
Is there enough room for it all to fit?

I'm also wondering if fitting infront of the radiator has any effect on the radiator at all?

Cant help on the XR6 cooler with winch.

But the cooler wont effect the radiator. If it does, your radiator is shit and needs to be replaced or the cooler needs a new core and the fins are smashed up.

Has anyone heard from Jonnyfisho as to how his intercooler install worked out? Would love to see pics. I sent him a PM a while back but he hasn't responded.

KB

how did you guys go with connecting up to the turbo, its only a 40mm OD and they dont seem to do any 40mm - 51mm reducers.

Could probably just clamp a 2 inch silicon hose over the top of the 40mm hose that is already there connecting the turbo to inlet pipe.

how did you guys go with connecting up to the turbo, its only a 40mm OD and they dont seem to do any 40mm - 51mm reducers.

Could probably just clamp a 2 inch silicon hose over the top of the 40mm hose that is already there connecting the turbo to inlet pipe.

Just use a 2 - 1.5 inch reducer. 1.5 inch is about 38mm so its close enough to go over, it just takes a bit of convincing

im planning to do the piping like in this pic using 2 inch alloy pipe and silicon hose joins.

im running a 2" body lift so i will run the pipe coming from the turbo along the chassis rail as kempseyken did.

this way i should be able to pipe it up without having to weld any pipes or weld in a barb for the turbo sensor and boost gauge.
this will leave me with a 40mm OD at the intake end and another at the turbo end.

i probably could use the 1.5-2" reducer. either that or i just cut in half the hose that connects the 2 now and clamp the new silicon hose over the top to allow for the size difference.

Attachments

• CIMG6605.jpg
    CIMG6605.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 645
thats a crap way of doing it.

if you want to use th stock bit then leave it connected at the turbo end and make new pipes for the rest.

using it like that pic puts a massive restriction in the system.

There are some advantages to retaining factory elbow,it takes care of the reducer hassle for a start,if your cooler gets holed or things turn to shit in the bush you can disconnect cooler and rotate elbow back to original position to get home. if you really want to go out through the inner guard bit can you not rotate it 180 degrees and go from there.

I stayed inside engine bay as much as possible for a couple of reasons, to reduce amount of bends as much as possible (least resistance of flow) and max protection of pipe.
This does present a problem with the wiper water box however.

I don't quite get what your saying about clamping hose over hose? but it sounds like too big an internal step for my liking. Think resistance of flow.

Charlie, I meant cut the 40mm hose in half so a piece is on each end that needs to be connected to, slide the 50mm hose over the top and clamp on sandwiching it between the factory elbows and the 50mm hose.

I wont be doing it that way anyhow, was just a thought.

I might just end up making it out of 2inch mild steel and mig welding it all togeather and using only a couple of silicon hose joins.

There are some advantages to retaining factory elbow,it takes care of the reducer hassle for a start,if your cooler gets holed or things turn to shit in the bush you can disconnect cooler and rotate elbow back to original position to get home.

thats exactly why a few on here have left the original bit in place.......but the difference is they left the original bend connected to the turbo.
the pic shows it being left connected to the intake which is not good.

Yeah I left mine on at turbo end.
I didn't even realise that photo showed an original bend as I'm on my phone and can't enlarge photo properly

Yeah I left mine on at turbo end.
I didn't even realise that photo showed an original bend as I'm on my phone and can't enlarge photo properly
And I'm sick of phone doing this double post shit to me

Last edited:
Has anyone fitted an IC with ARB bar and winch? Looks way to tight and may need to look at top mounting.

Ideas/info?

Latest posts

Back