Mercedes Benz - my other car

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been having troubles starting my $100K Benz recently, the dash doesn't light up, the car doesn't crank. but after a random number of attempts to turn the key (5mins of frustration), bingo the car starts.

The first time it happened to be on a ferry crossing the Murray river, so don't EVER turn a running car off when on a ferry crossing. a valueable lesson.

investigation by MB has diagnoses the electronic ignition switch is faulty, and the replacement cost is $1,800 + GST

:confused2:

of course the car is 3.5yrs and therefore out of warranty (only 80,000km too)

MB have offered a 50% reduction on the repair cost after the first phone call.

i have pushed back again, with MB HQ receiving a courteous email overnight suggesting they do replace it FOC.

the car is due for change over, and this will be pointed out to the only MB dealer in SA, otherwise it's back to Audi, who did replace a turbo that had failed, even though the car was again 4yrs and only 55K on the clock. Originally Audi quoted $6.5K for the repairs, but a nicely worded email took care of that expense. thanks Audi!

Yee gads, thats a bit wild for a ignition switch!
Can anyone tell me what was so wrong with a simple key with a switch to put it in?
My 1951 morris didnt seem to suffer from the lack of an 'electronic module'.!
Hope they sort it out FOC.

German cars are precision engineered to f*ck up within days of running out of warranty.

I can't believe you let them activate the warranty chip. Everyone knows all devices come with a warranty chip, that gets activated at point of sale, but if you can keep them away from barcode scanners and first services they don't get activated and you get years and years of enjoyment from them. Otherwise, warranty period + a few days and kaboom.

People will never, ever learn, will they?

Sounds to me like dirt or something inside the switch, or a spring that's come loose. Find one on a wrecked one and switch the key sections out. Bugger $1800 for a switch, you paid $100K for the car and the switch only lasted 3 years - but there are 1950 Chevs, Fords and the like still getting around with the original ignition. Okay, admittedly you can usually just flick a stick in their general direction and they'll turn, but they at least work!

ohh i've researched replacing it by any means possible.

Electronics is too smart to permit fitting anything else and/or starting of the car.

The ignition switch electronics is all intergrated into the vehicle security systems, and of course while i can source one, it needs to be programmed to match VIN details, and this can only be done with MB dealer software.

it's been two days and haven't heard back from MB, which is unusual. hopefully my letter went to the very top for a customer service decision, in my favour!

would i like to buy another Benz - yes
will i buy another benz - undecided, pending the outcome

My D40 has cost a bomb too - fuel pump & injectors = $5.5K

If it's got tits or tyres it's gonna cost you boys !

Benz came to the party, original quote was $1800.....final cost is a mere $190. i accepted 2hrs labour.

Unbelieveably, i also get 2yr warranty on the part MB replaced under warranty too!

i hope Nissan ppl read this and understand what true "customer service" is and how to apply this to their customers.

Benz came to the party, original quote was $1800.....final cost is a mere $190. i accepted 2hrs labour.

Unbelieveably, i also get 2yr warranty on the part MB replaced under warranty too!

i hope Nissan ppl read this and understand what true "customer service" is and how to apply this to their customers.

Two hours labor for $190 that's a bargain!
I wanted my brake lines changed on Monday they quoted me Two hours to change them at $165 an hour....

After this service I sure do understand customer service abs how much Nissan's is lacking

Never owned a MB, but have owned plenty of VB.

You get better reliability out of an MB I'm sure. Every time I start a VB, the bloody thing is useless with a few minutes.

Latest posts

Back