Leaking ARB Canopy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never had any problems with leaks from the TJM canopy on the old mans crewman but we installed it not TJM. My problem with TJM was the cheap feel of the canopy, never liked the door and window mechanisms they just felt cheap and nasty.

WHY WHY???? What did you see?.

they sit proud of the tub unlike tjm and ironman which seem to sit more flush with tub
it looks like the seal between tub and canopy on the one i saw was already perished (09 model)

Don't forget that most canopies don't have an "exact" location where they need to be fitted so while you're seeing one brand name sit proud of the tub and maybe not seal as well that could be as much down to the installer and it is the actual canopy.

Don't forget that most canopies don't have an "exact" location where they need to be fitted so while you're seeing one brand name sit proud of the tub and maybe not seal as well that could be as much down to the installer and it is the actual canopy.

yeah unfortunatly arb dont have one on display
tjm have one on a well back in store,looks a better fit than the arb on a 22 at work
ironmans canopy is on a hilux and looks a good fit
its a lot of money for a glass or plastic shell
i want to make sure i get the best value
and i dont want leaks
cheers
sparra

Personally I think TJM and ARB are about the same in both quality and practicality. I don't mind Ironman ones but their sales rep in Melbourne in a dick and he lost a sale because of his inability to assist customers.

As far as leaks go I wouldn't bother making a big deal about it, there is a better than average chance you'll find a tub leak at some stage, there is a better than average chance any canopy seal will develop a leak over time and there is every chance one day you'll forget to shut the windows and the rain will get in. Don't block the holes for it to get out and you'll be fine.

Research all brands (there is about 10 I can think of), look as at many as you can, consider carefully what you want out of the canopy and buy the canopy that suits the purpose you want it for. Any leaks will no doubt be minor and easily fixed when you find them, but a shit canopy or one that doesn't do everything you want is far harder to forget about.

I leave the front window of my canopy open a bit, in an attempt to pressurise it for dust. I have never remembered to close it when I have washed the car & can't recall water getting inside from the window.

Odd how a relatively gaping hole won't let water in but the little ones do.

Haven't seen a front window yet that doesn't let some amount of rain water in when left open, but the angle the water has to go to get into it has some bearing on how wet it gets.

Other places it's a pressure issue, if you directly squirt just about any canopy seal with a high pressure washer it will leak eventually and the same principal works with rain water when driving, it's forced into the crack, or the hole or the small gap and the more force it's pushed in there with the more chances it will have to penetrate it. 60kph is usually enough to force water through a seal that otherwise looks sealed.

However the holes a few D40 and D22 drivers alike found in the front wall of their tubs which Nissan thoughtfully installed were a far bigger issue than any canopy seal every would have been.

TJM and ARB are both what I would call hopeless quality to be honest.

There is a few other manufacturers of canopy's in Australia that absolutely eclipse them for quality.
They are not the cheapest, but as the saying goes.......

The other couple of manufacturers dont need internal fram structures in order to carry 100+kg on the roof either due to structural strength in the actual canopy rather than just being made out of plastic/glass.

The original poster hasn't been back in nearly a month.

I have a SnugTop canopy. It seals rather well, importantly the sides have a lip that sits over the top of the tub, and a rubber seal that sits over the front between the tub & cabin. Water ingress is mostly prevented - there are a couple of drips present in major downpours that are attributable to the window seals, but the canopy itself is quite good.

I don't know what its loading capacity is. I should probably ask my dealer, because one day I do intend to put a basket up there. Hopefully I'll get more than a pair of snow skis and a Gucci handbag on it. Not that I'm trying to infer anything about BMW drivers heading for Thredbo, no sir, not me.

I'm thinking if it leaks then it is a problem with the fitting and not the canopy. I've got an ARB canopy and it has been on the ute for >3 years now. Travelled in all kinds of weather including the tropics in the wet....still no water ingress at all.
Frankly if I was doing this all over again I would buy cab chassis and then have a purpose built back made for it. Spares on the rear and with lift up capacity on both sides.

Hi Guys
I just sort of fixed my tub leaking issue by installing a rubber strip in front of the tub.
The canopy was never an issue for me, I have to thank Jeff and his boys at SCS 4wd in Braeside for the very accurate installation of it. I had to remove the tub which was a quite interesting exercise i must say but all went well and now no leak at all.
I'll post some Pics when I'll be back from my holiday.... If find out how to do it first (any help with that?)
Ciao

Back