Leak between engine and transmission

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottm

Reaction score
Hi all,

Trying to get some leaks fixed in my D22 2002 ZD30 before I install baseplates... Have discovered a slow leak where the transmission joins the motor (could be come from higher up in engine bay actually come to think of it but bloody hard to get a visual).

Nizzbits have suggest possibly rear main seal (seem like this can be hardcore to fix) anyway I can confirm that this is it with a minimum of fuss or is it a major deal just to confirm?

Any other ideas of common leakages in that vicinity (that could drip from back of motor to that low point near where sump is and engine joins transmission)?

Cheers in advance,

-Scott

Almost 160,000. Is this going to be a nightmare?

it is a bit, you need to drop the box out so that means torsion bars ect, you can just let it leak and keep your eye on the oil but if it is the rear main it will end up soaking the clutch in oil which will cause slip.
with 160km on it if it is the rear main and you do drop the box to fix it you would be mad not to do the clutch while your at it, having said that i got over 370k out of my clutch in my ZD30 D22, but if i had to drop the box i would do the clutch.

it is a bit, you need to drop the box out so that means torsion bars ect, you can just let it leak and keep your eye on the oil but if it is the rear main it will end up soaking the clutch in oil which will cause slip.
with 160km on it if it is the rear main and you do drop the box to fix it you would be mad not to do the clutch while your at it, having said that i got over 370k out of my clutch in my ZD30 D22, but if i had to drop the box i would do the clutch.

Thanks Nathan.

If I have to do torsion bars etc might make sense to do it all at the same time as getting new suspension kit from Zordo?

Another thread http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=14065 Pottsy1990 dropped the box and then discovered it was the sump seal so might be worth just doing both at any rate? Unless that's adding massive amounts of work....

Any suggestions for type of clutch to go with? (assuming I go this path)

Cheers,

-Scott

give it a good degreasing everywhere and then keep a close eye on it, it may help determine the cause of the leak.

I was told I had a leaking rear main seal and it was very slow. Maybe one drop every week. Anyway I decided to reseal the sump myself as I thought that was leaking too, this was a much easier job that the rear main seal. Ever since I re-sealed the main sump I havent had anymore leaks. Just some food for thought, to do the sump you just have to drop the front diff and then manage to break the old seal with a sharp thin object, im sure there is a special tool for it but its in a tight tricky spot

Latest posts

Back