Leaf Spring Flex Like the Jeeps & Toyotas Have?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peteyen86

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been thinking about the Nav. Since we cant get F all flex in the front, how can we get the ass end flexing more? Alot of the leaf spring jeeps/toyotas ect get huge amounts of flex.

What do they do different? And could we use some of the same methods?

Observably its not that simple, or people would have done it buy now. Just throwing it out there.

Pete

Big lifted leaf packs with the load leafs removed, extended greasable shackles. The problem is, to get the big flex you need big lift and that is possible to do in the back but not in the front of the Navara so it would look a bit silly with a 6" lift in the back and only a 2" lift in the front. Also another problem with modifying the leaf packs (removing the load carrying leafs) they become weaker and will snap. It happens allot on the little Zooks.

The problem is, to get the big flex you need big lift .

I believe this is completely wrong, it all has to do with the spring rates and the amount of torsion the spring can handle ( you mention snapping ).

A long flat spring with very mild arch will give you the most flex or wheel travel, but will also cause diff wrap and may have trouble transferring the traction to the ground in which case you would need a wrap bar.

Alot of people look at how much "flex" a truck has and not the amount of wheel travel. I am talking visually, a truck with 5 inch lift 8 inch of wheel travel will have more wheel to guard clearance than a standard looking truck with 12 inch of wheel travel. Think of a patrol with a big lift, they always "look" like they have a truck load of wheel travel, not many do and even less the suspension works properly.

Some very very basic leaf spring mods you could do-

- cut the military wrap so it doesnt wrap more than 50% of the eye
- open the spring clamps
- Grease and shim between the leaves
- tapper the bushes so they dont bind. ( like an orbit eye )

Basically, without moving hangers the rear setup of the Navara isnt designed for massive wheel travel, IMO

NICK

I believe this is completely wrong, it all has to do with the spring rates and the amount of torsion the spring can handle ( you mention snapping ).

A long flat spring with very mild arch will give you the most flex or wheel travel, but will also cause diff wrap and may have trouble transferring the traction to the ground in which case you would need a wrap bar.

Alot of people look at how much "flex" a truck has and not the amount of wheel travel. I am talking visually, a truck with 5 inch lift 8 inch of wheel travel will have more wheel to guard clearance than a standard looking truck with 12 inch of wheel travel. Think of a patrol with a big lift, they always "look" like they have a truck load of wheel travel, not many do and even less the suspension works properly.

Some very very basic leaf spring mods you could do-

- cut the military wrap so it doesnt wrap more than 50% of the eye
- open the spring clamps
- Grease and shim between the leaves
- tapper the bushes so they dont bind. ( like an orbit eye )

Basically, without moving hangers the rear setup of the Navara isnt designed for massive wheel travel, IMO

NICK

Yep wheel travel is what id like, but like you said, you need to have wait/force behind that travel. Thats why drop shackles are shit.

Had a look at the spring clamps on mine. The top retainer is welded in so i would need to cut it off to open the clamps. Will be buying new leaves soon so will have a look at them when i get them.

Ive seen the yanks make leaves with orbiting eyes. Not a bad idea. Havent found any in Aus like it yet. How exactly do you mean tapper the bushes?

Like you said, the Navara is just shit front and back for flex. Trying to polish a turd..lol

extended shackles will make a huge difference. the extra length also adds extra leverage which will help with flex but puts lots of extra stress on shackle hangers. riped mine off the chassis of my old rode but it flexed heaps compared to standard

i had more then 14" of wheel travel at the back of the nav with the factory leafs. All it had was extended shackles i made for it.

Yea, only cos I was too cheap to buy ones long enough. I would just wheel without them

Yeah I was thinking of going back to standard leaf springs with extended shackles.. Don't know I it's worth it though...

I have my standard leaves still in. They have been reset and a leaf added though. Might have a play with them and see what i can do.

Ive got shocks for a 2 " lift. Longer shocks again for a 3" lift would be better i guess?

Also do extended shackles stuff your leafs quicker? Lots of people are against extended shackles. I dont really give a shit if it makes the nav a little more capable offroad..lol

Pull ur shocks out and flex it up, measure how long of a shock you need. My leafs were just starting to get a bit of wrap happening because they were so soft. If I was still running them I would need to put in a trac bar. But any flexy leaf set up will/should have one. With the shocks it might pay to get a bit of tube welded in and mount them like / \ instead of 1 in front and 1 behind. I can't find a pic atm of the flex I had without rear shocks in but if I do I'll post it up.

Mine flex alright for stock. Mind you they are 14 years old :s
Here are some pictures, they are not the best but at least you can see the travel.
IMG_20111228_101444.jpg

IMG_20111228_101547.jpg

I have my standard leaves still in. They have been reset and a leaf added though.

What was your thinking behind that?

Given the crap^h^h^h^hstuff I load in for camping trips and the trailer drawbar weight I seriously need to boost/change the rear springing. all I've seen so far is total replacement.

What was your thinking behind that?

Given the crap^h^h^h^hstuff I load in for camping trips and the trailer drawbar weight I seriously need to boost/change the rear springing. all I've seen so far is total replacement.

Just another way of getting lift and improving the ride withought buying new leaves. The local suspension guy did it. Heats the leaves and reforms them, and then adds a leaf. Made the ride a shit load better as mine had sagged and were flat.

Now im looking at softer suspension again, so new leaves will be coming.

Pull ur shocks out and flex it up, measure how long of a shock you need. My leafs were just starting to get a bit of wrap happening because they were so soft. If I was still running them I would need to put in a trac bar. But any flexy leaf set up will/should have one. With the shocks it might pay to get a bit of tube welded in and mount them like / \ instead of 1 in front and 1 behind. I can't find a pic atm of the flex I had without rear shocks in but if I do I'll post it up.

Thanks mate. Will be checking out if the shocks need to be longer like you said. Not too keen on inverting the shocks just yet. Maybe a future project. Plans for 33's and locker first.

Pete

Thanks mate. Will be checking out if the shocks need to be longer like you said. Not too keen on inverting the shocks just yet. Maybe a future project. Plans for 33's and locker first.

Pete

How did u go removing your shocks?? Did u get any more wheel travel... any pics??

I have done a lot of playin around with hiluxs an the way you get them flexing on the cheap is to put 97 mod on rear leaves as there longer an almost flat exstended shackles an really long shockies Witch gives almost no lift but when the shackle angle is correct give great flex for leaves ( on hilux mounts have to be moved ). I have fitted exstended shackles to my navara an it has almost perfect shackle angle I need to mesure how short my shocks are when flexed so I don't by a shock that is to long as it will bottom out the shock but at the same time I'll also be getting the most droop as possible the outer limits 4x4 forum has great info on getting leaves flexing but at the end of the day leaves will never flex like coils or coil overs IMO

Daniel

I have done a lot of playin around with hiluxs an the way you get them flexing on the cheap is to put 97 mod on rear leaves as there longer an almost flat exstended shackles an really long shockies Witch gives almost no lift but when the shackle angle is correct give great flex for leaves ( on hilux mounts have to be moved ). I have fitted exstended shackles to my navara an it has almost perfect shackle angle I need to mesure how short my shocks are when flexed so I don't by a shock that is to long as it will bottom out the shock but at the same time I'll also be getting the most droop as possible the outer limits 4x4 forum has great info on getting leaves flexing but at the end of the day leaves will never flex like coils or coil overs IMO

Daniel

I had often wondered about just going to see a Spring Manufacturer and get a "longer" main spring made up to replace the current main leaf, then fit your extended shackles. This would leave the car sitting at the same height but have greater wheel travel ability when the right shocks are installed. I would assume just replacing the main leaf would not be that costly and who knows, they might already have one in stock that was made for another vehicle type.
Most leaf springs are the same width aren't they ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy17

Daniel
I had often wondered about just going to see a Spring Manufacturer and get a "longer" main spring made up to replace the current main leaf, then fit your extended shackles. This would leave the car sitting at the same height but have greater wheel travel ability when the right shocks are installed. I would assume just replacing the main leaf would not be that costly and who knows, they might already have one in stock that was made for another vehicle type.
Most leaf springs are the same width aren't they ??

if you can find a spring that is a bit longer then find the said car the longer spring is from an check the width if they are the same width and you will also need to check that the length from the front eye to centre pin on the leaf is the same length as standard or your wheel base will be changed an that could be a problem hahaha but ironman have all them mesurments on there site it could most defenantly work if everything lines up

Daniel

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back