k's on a new car?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shero82

Reaction score
so i'm finally picking up my new car tomorrow from the dealer and i got to thinking - How many K's are acceptable on new car?

maybe i'm being a little paranoid but i've never bought a new car before and i've no idea how far they drive the cars to get them off the boat and so on. i know they transport them from the docks via truck but what if the dealer was driving it down the road to get his lunch?

i know it's inconsequential anyway but when i ordered a BRAND NEW car that's just what i'm hoping to get.

what sort of experiences have others had with this?

shero

I don't think there is any set figure that is considered normal because different places require different things. Some dealers might have to drive further to get different accessories added than others so things will change.

I've had anything from 7 to 48 on my new cars over the years, 48 I wasn't overly happy with but it's a price you some times pay living out of the city. Over 50 I'd probably make a bit of a scene but I'm not sure what good it will do. Over 100 you might have some grounds for denial of purchase though.

I had 33km on mine when I got it. The thing had to go get a canopy here, tow hitch there, in-dash navigation somewhere else, tinting another place again. A few km isn't going to bother it, and if the service guys took it for a 10km spin to listen and make sure it was all put together properly BEFORE handing it over, then I'm as happy as Larry. And Larry is cacking himself silly.

Would the dealer take a new car off to get his lunch or something? Probably not. I doubt he'd risk getting crumbs in it, because that would mean another trip to the cleaning guys and that's a waste of time and money. The dealer doesn't have time to waste - they're interested in getting new cars out, and have demo cars for quick jaunts somewhere.

I took delivery of a new company car (Toyota Aurion) in July and it had 5 kms on it. (It's now got 7,700!). I've bought 5 new Fords and all have have had less than 50 kms. Anything less than 100 would be accceptable to me.

Mine had 47K, had to get snorkle, and tint done.
And in the 47k's no one picked up that it jumped out of 5th gear??? Service manager tried to convince me they didn't get it out of 4th driving from Berwick to Dandenong and back. yeah right...

That is the really annoying thing. It's one thing to do the k's where needed but to still see such obvious problems don't get picked up proves just how well they do their job.

Mine had 23.

Interestingly enough, the ST-R i drove when i test drove mine was brand new, unregistered. We drove it on a Trade plate and the salesman could not care less about us putting k's on it. I Probably put 10 or 12 on it.

Funnily enough, they had a demo with 800km on it and we drove the brand new one instead!

Regards
Greg

The test drive one was a new one with 28Kms on it. We used trade plates. the paperwork says our new one was dropped in the dealers yard with 14Kms on it.

I suspect they just use the latest arrival as the demo driver since it really is just around the block.

Edit; picked it up today with 25kms on it.

Last edited:
Excellent! Congratulations!

So, when are you getting it dirty?

well i've just about ticked over the thousand now and still no dirt on it! i'm getting some new tyres on monday and a bar next week so perhaps after that.
if all else fails the missus and i will be driving it up to our new home in darwin in about four weeks. we'll be going the coast so there should be plenty of beach driving to be done and i'm sure that there is plenty of mud around already in the top end.

shero

Latest posts

Back