Issues in the fuel line

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do OL make a specific tank for the D40? Mine's about 130 litre - I had a look on their website and can't see one that looks like mine. There's definitely sediment in the fuel sample thats come out of the fuel lines, but can't tell if its rust just by looking at it.

edit -> thanks Tony btw.. I actually saw that post from Pete22 and sent him a PM to see if his symptoms were similar to mine

Last edited:
Once a dirty tank always a dirty tank.
Not good news I know, but at least you've solved the problem.

yeah i think you are right. I reckon the sock in the tank is probably full.. and when its trying to suck through under load its blocking.. Any recommendations for a replacement tank - long range? Or - may go back to a standard tank and go with jerry can solution for longer trips..

Wreckers may be cheap enough for a stock one.
O/L may even a good one now. You ask, they may acknowledge the fault with the one you have n discount. If it is indeed their product.
Long range tanks have been mentioned on threads so you will find plenty of info with a search.

Last edited:
Hi All

Had a crap experience a couple of days ago while helping a mate move from Sydney to Jindabyne.

I've recently bought a 2007 D40 which has a long range steel fuel tank (130L). On Monday night I filled it all the way for the first time since I got it 2 months ago.

Just past Golburn, it started missing going up hills, and then by Cooma it was missing pretty bad so I went into Nissan in Cooma.

They found that filling the tank had washed a lot of rust from the inside of the tank into the fuel line.

They replaced the filter, dumped out the fuel (and filtered it), dropped out the tank and washed it out and cleaned the fuel lines. They got me back on the road which was great - and I made it back to Sydney and the mechanic said I won't see the problem again for a long while... I was very grateful. The mechanic said the problem was there for a long time before I owned the car, but still to fill it all the way from now on.

Prior to cleaning out the dodgy fuel, he tested the injectors and they were firing all ok. He said the fuel filter had saved the injectors.

Anyway I got back to Sydney, but the past 2 mornings from a cold start the engine misses until I race it or take off. This morning I noticed a little bit of smoke. The engine idles fine and the boost is fine after I actually start moving.

I'm wondering if some crap has washed thru to the fuel rail after all, or if there's some other possible cause.. Anyone with similar experience? What's an injector worth if it's damaged (I think I heard they are $$$$)?

Had a similar problem....my fix was to toss the fuel tank and fit a new one that is manufactured from aluminized steel.....not the solution for everyone though as this is quite and expensive fix. Check out this thread http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=16946

I've got the truck in for service at the moment, and basically the tank is full of rust so I'm going to need to change it. I'll either go back to the standard tank or get another long ranger.

I couldn't find any manufacturer details on the tank, but I'd like to try to identify the manufacturer if possible, because it's pretty poor that the tank has broken down like that. The only identification on the tank were 2 numbers:
- NR70

Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back