irc channel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al

LURKER
Reaction score
i know its a bit geeky but i wouldn't mind lurking around a irc channel for navara.asia lol

Not so much geeky as old school geeky, I gave up IRC 10 years ago.

IRC = Internet Relay Chat. Chatrooms on many different servers where people log on and talk crap endlessly or sit idle for hours on end waiting for people to join to give them someone to talk too.

sorry mate not sure irc is even still going these days it was popular back 10-15 years ago... a lot has changed now that every man and his dog has the net

The Undernet is still going, so is Dalnet I believe. I know guys that still leave their machines logged on 24/7 with bots in channels of 3 people making sure no one swears and no one picks on them while they aren't around.

In many ways forums and Bulletin Boards have taken over which is pretty much a full circle situation since before IRC chatrooms, private chat rooms and meets of 50+ people all having a huge party getting pissed and sleeping together (or picking on those who did sleep together) it was all done on BB's at 14.4K dial up speeds.

Yeah I believe that's still going too, although it was always very unreliable connection wise.

What suprises me is how many forums have atleast 1 thread asking about or talking about members who used to be on irc.

geez definatly a flash back. havent been on for at least 10 years i reckon. cant say i miss it lol

IRC was a bit to powerfull. to many bots etc.

ICQ,AIM,MSN,Jabber etc are all still going. has advantages over facebook etc as its private chat, can send files etc. theres a few muiti chat programs like trillian that handle a lot of the different chat networks.

IRC was also quite dangerous for the uninitiated, you could take down a person from the other side of the country (world if lag didn't kill you first) before they knew what was happening, it was personal hacking at it's easiest.

Many of today's script junkies cut their teeth hacking IRC users, but it's the ones who were stopped in their tracks by someone who was smarter than them that always made me laugh. Most of my old channels from 10 years ago still have 3 or 4 of the old school l33t mob sitting there with bots in channel, only talking to tell the few remaining souls who wander into channel how failure to keep to the rules will result in attacks from bots.

IRC was fun for the wannabe hackers alone.

Latest posts

Back