Intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i reckon it looks like a good kit,
but i don't think it will work with mine cause my air compressor my hit the pipe

Was gonna order that kit Kickars posted up.

Grrrr, !@#$%^& tax bill came. Oh week next week the order goes in.

Dave.

i think you would have to stuff around a fair bit to get it to fit.
denco make a water to air kit but it's dear.

i'm not a fan of the frozen boost intercoolers. not sure if i would trust Chinese core. there was a mention that it may be just air-air core in it, which means its a bit thin/fragile for water use.
the water in/out location leaves a lot to be desired.
a fair few guys have been fitting them to the patrols, see how long before one blows ;)

denco barrel coolers......cheap and inefficient design.

ARE has some great designs but holy cow the price !

i think you would have to stuff around a fair bit to get it to fit.
denco make a water to air kit but it's dear.

Yeah thats what i was thinkin but it could work i reckon if one can work it out it would be about 600 to 700 bucks all up

i had a look at the denco one looks good but dont really want to spend over 2 grand for one although its completely bolt on ready to go

The Patrol pic at the bottom of the page is scary as, first time you took that out in the sticks you'd be sure to land the pipework on a bank or something.

yeah thats what i don't like even with most aftermarket navara setups. nose it into a bank/ditch and you crush the intake pipes !

I used an XR6 turbo intercooler, it fits neatly behind the cutouts in the bullbar. Theres heaps of them around, 50 bucks will get you one no dramas.
My whole front mount setup cost me less than $100 fitted up.
Ive been running it for a couple of years now and its well worth the effort.

XR6 intercooler is small.
last time i worked it out the 3 litre turbo flowed more air than the XR6 does (3 litre @15+psi vers 4 litre at 5psi).
i would use something a lot bigger.

The core only is 400x200x60mm, how much bigger do you want it and where would you fit it?
You could go a 76mm thickness but width u cant go much more and height wise does nothing either as it is all blocked off from air flow.
None of the kits ive seen that are off the shelf available have a bigger cooler and if they do its only a few mm and they cost $1k plus.

Not sure how you came to the flow conclusions tho?

i can't remember what i did for the flow calcs.
but roughly 3 litre motor @15psi is ~equivalent to 6 litres. 4 litre motor @ 5 psi is ~ equivalent to 5 litres. obviously doesn't factor in rpm, heat etc etc.

be interesting to see how much pressure drop there is across the intercooler.

nafan can you show us some photo's of your kit.
how and who did the piping for it? do you still have the design or what bends you used?
wouldn't any intercooler be better then none?

Hey mate,

I did the pipes and stuff myself just borrowed a mates tig and tacked it all together and he welded it all up.
The bends are all cut from alloy donuts to suit.
I made it so if i want to return it to standard or the cooler gets damaged while im in the bush i can just flip the factory cast alloy elbow back around and continue on.
A fella that used to come to a mates workshop made his whole setup from an ebay generic pipe kit that came with hoses/clamps and put a chinese cooler on it. It is ugly and has a pressure drop of about 2.5psi across the core but it still works. He also has a diesel power sender bender 3" exhaust and runs 22psi thru it.

Heres a couple of pics
Boost sensor and boost gauge read off the intake pipe
nav_1.jpg

navcooler_3.jpg

that looks familiar.

are you the guy that tried the EGR mod but found fuel economy went worse ?

Looks good fairly simple design, any pics of how it goes from engine bay into inter cooler, did you have to remove your cyclone filter and did you have to cut any holes etc.. How much of a difference did it make do you recken.

a few pics.

you can remove pre filter and go throug it like that, others go down beside the inlet and over the top of the chassi.

you can see what i don't like about the setup, the pipe is right at the bottom. should you nose into something highly likly to damage the intake pipe.
good idea to be able to disconnect the IC and revert back to stock setup if IC is damaged.

Attachments

• nav_6.jpg
    nav_6.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 387
  • nav_7.jpg
    nav_7.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 366
  • nav_5.jpg
    nav_5.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 345
  • nav_4.jpg
    nav_4.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 349
Looks good fairly simple design, any pics of how it goes from engine bay into inter cooler, did you have to remove your cyclone filter and did you have to cut any holes etc.. How much of a difference did it make do you recken.
Yeh mate i removed the cyclone filter cause i have a snorkel to fit up which will go straight to air box.
Had to enlarge the hole under the cyclone filter to run the pipe thru, there are ways around it but you end up with very long pipes.
The main difference it makes is on big long uphills when towing, the power doesnt drop off as the intake temps increase as they are much cooler and more consistant. Economy on freeway is also improved and during winter its even better again.

tweak'e said:
you can see what i don't like about the setup, the pipe is right at the bottom. should you nose into something highly likly to damage the intake pipe.
Im not too concerned about the cooler pipe across the front you would have to hit something pretty hard to bust up the bullbar before it does any damage to the cooler pipe and if you do that theres a good chance you aint driving home anyway. Either way being able to flip the factory pipe around will save that problem.

i like the design but my pre filter conect's to the standard nissan snorkel so id have to find away to get rid of that and hope the pipe doesn't hit my airlocker compressor

Latest posts

Back