Intercooler Opinions,

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo54
Question. As most 4wd driving is done at very slow speeds what use is a air to air unless it is drawing cold air from somewhere else like you AC condenser?

T54
It catches the turbine blades when the turbo lets go.

Exactly, its all about reducing temps--however folks need to address ONLY very high temps due to excessive boost and compressors running out of their "sweet" spot....also reducing resistance in the flow path is important:confused3:

Hi gazza, new here so excuse me if this is sounds silly. When you say excessive boost how high are we talking? The 3.0 runs 15-16 psi from factory? Are you talking boost spikes? Doesn't the 3.0 have a mechanical boost controller that it is set? I know the patrols spike because they are electronically set and people swap the setup for the mechanical setup because it is more stable.

I also get that people are using them as a safety net for when there turbo lets go. Is this normal? can you stop the problem of the turbo self districting? Maybe it's better to put the money you would spend on a good inter cooler, say 1400 for an ase kit into a better turbo like a full roller garret that won't let go and has a wider efficiency range?

Also has anyone here thought of using a Subaru topmount inter cooler? Surely they woul come close to fitting and then use a set of the sti water squirters to blow water over it when on high boost? The Subaru coolers are plentiful and cheap. The water can be controlled by a boost activated hob switch. Also while I am here, has it been mentioned to try water or methonal spray into the turbo, once again controlled by a hob switch?
This reduces heat in the turbo significantly.

Which brings me to thinking, doing a water to air like the ones from frozen boost . Com or per barrel coolers.
in my opinion is the way to go unless your just using it as a catching glove. When you have a hot pan in the kitchen, how do you cool it down? By waving it around or by putting it under the tap? Water to air intercoolers are way more efficient and give you a far more stable temperature at slow speeds, are smaller to fit under the bonnet and then less prone to damage while off road. For the extra dollars to build one it seem like an obvious choice.
The Subaru liberty came out with them factory so you might be s or to do something there.

Hope this stirs some thoughts,
T54

You won't hurt the silicone pipe going straight off the turbo (maybe with cheap crap)My pipes are from justjap and have no issue dealing with heat.There is a thread somewhere with the exact list of what you need in regards to pipes and clamps,can have a look for you if you like and post the link.

Thanks mate I've found the list of what I need, just got to wait for it to get here. Will post some photos when I'm all done

Hi gazza, new here so excuse me if this is sounds silly. When you say excessive boost how high are we talking? The 3.0 runs 15-16 psi from factory? Are you talking boost spikes? Doesn't the 3.0 have a mechanical boost controller that it is set? I know the patrols spike because they are electronically set and people swap the setup for the mechanical setup because it is more stable.

I also get that people are using them as a safety net for when there turbo lets go. Is this normal? can you stop the problem of the turbo self districting? Maybe it's better to put the money you would spend on a good inter cooler, say 1400 for an ase kit into a better turbo like a full roller garret that won't let go and has a wider efficiency range?

Also has anyone here thought of using a Subaru topmount inter cooler? Surely they woul come close to fitting and then use a set of the sti water squirters to blow water over it when on high boost? The Subaru coolers are plentiful and cheap. The water can be controlled by a boost activated hob switch. Also while I am here, has it been mentioned to try water or methonal spray into the turbo, once again controlled by a hob switch?

Which brings me to thinking, doing a water to air like the ones from frozen boost . Com or per barrel coolers.
in my opinion is the way to go unless your just using it as a catching glove. When you have a hot pan in the kitchen, how do you cool it down? By waving it around or by putting it under the tap? Water to air intercoolers are way more efficient and give you a far more stable temperature at slow speeds, are smaller to fit under the bonnet and then less prone to damage while off road. For the extra dollars to build one it seem like an obvious choice.
The Subaru liberty came out with them factory so you might be s or to do something there.

T54

I have a cross country top mount i/c, I wasnt interested in a new turbo and extra gains, for me its towing the camper around on all the big hills around home, its there if something did go wrong and as an extra it gives it a bit more go

T54

Have you ever measured the inlet and outlet temps / also pressure delta to and across the IC and compared against ambient and road speed..... ???...you may well be wasting your money

Hi gazza, on what car? The Navara... No. Like I said new to navaras but I have an air cooled VW engine making 320+hp at the wheels and have done before ic and after ic temp tests and they were dramatically different. Especially with the ice tank setup.

I am not sure if what I was getting at came across that well is why bandaid the turbo failure if they are that common with an intercooler when you could just buy a turbo that isn't going to fail or if you are into it for power gains why not go water to air?

I have read up to 200 degrees after intake un intercooled, so is the turbo failure due to wear, shitty materials or heat?

Thanks in advance
T54

Hi gazza, on what car? The Navara... No. Like I said new to navaras but I have an air cooled VW engine making 320+hp at the wheels and have done before ic and after ic temp tests and they were dramatically different. Especially with the ice tank setup.

I am not sure if what I was getting at came across that well is why bandaid the turbo failure if they are that common with an intercooler when you could just buy a turbo that isn't going to fail or if you are into it for power gains why not go water to air?

I have read up to 200 degrees after intake un intercooled, so is the turbo failure due to wear, shitty materials or heat?

Thanks in advance
T54

I haven't heard anyone say these turbos are prone to failure, its just a simple fact that if your turbo does go pop, it could take your motor with it.

Latest posts

Back