Infuriating whirring/whining from engine

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sucramuk

Reaction score
Hi

Can someone please give me some advice.
I am getting whining / whirring noise ( not whistling) from my engine and its driving me insane!
It is loud enough to hear over the engine and is increases in pitch from idle through the rev range, iin gear or standing still.
The turbo boost pipes were disconnected temporary, noise still evident also fan belt temporary removed still same noise.

Any ideas, engine had full overhaul 1500km ago.

On checking the net could it be cam chain guide?

Any help would very much appreciated.

Thanks

I had a similar problem with a non-genuine water pump. Could be worth a look at.

Welcome to the forum.

I wonder if the fan blades have started cracking. Seen a couple of people put pics up with cracks around them - if the blade starts to wobble, it'll make a racket.

Welcome to the forum.

I wonder if the fan blades have started cracking. Seen a couple of people put pics up with cracks around them - if the blade starts to wobble, it'll make a racket.

not if the drive belt has been removed though...

could be cam chain guides. can you tell if it is coming from the front or rear of the motor? if you can use a stethoscope (or a piece of garden hose as one) to see if it is front or rear and top or bottom it may save pulling things apart you don't need to.

I know it's simple and I may be well of, but the seal around my air box fell to bits recently and was making quite an annoying sound, may or may not be as simple as that?

Check your power steering fluid, when it gets low the pump makes a whirring sound.

Check where the snorkel goes through the inner guard, if you have one that is sometimes the bolts can come loose and sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

Back