Hole in my cab...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsgooch

NF Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have removed the seats from the back of my dual cab nav. I found a large hole/vent located in one if the corners. With the seats removed the road noise is very loud. I was thinking of closing it off. 2 questions the first one is can/should I close it off? 2nd what can i use to seal it with?
Thanks for any input.

I have removed the seats from the back of my dual cab nav. I found a large hole/vent located in one if the corners. With the seats removed the road noise is very loud. I was thinking of closing it off. 2 questions the first one is can/should I close it off? 2nd what can i use to seal it with? Thanks for any input.

Have you got a picture Ruben???

I couldn't see why you wouldn't be able to seal it. But without seeing a photo of what it is I wouldn't like to comment.

I will wait for a reply?

uploadfromtaptalk1430166365101.jpg

Hi Ruben,

Your best bet
Even though it's going to be a pain in the arse, is metal plate that from the outside and using some good Metal silicon adhesive.

The reason I say metal plate it from the outside.
Is water can still get into the vent and sit in there and rust it out. You really want to stop the water from getting in there at all with a flat surface.

Like I said I know it sounds like a pain in the arse but that would be my thoughts on how to seal it correctly.
Do it once right and then it's done properly..

I think the tub itself only has like eight bolts holding it on.I believe it's only about a 45 minute job to take the tub off the car.

Hope this helped.
Give us a yell if you need a hand doing it if that's the road you travel happy to come down and give you a hand.

The vent is a plastic box that steps out about 20mm into the space between the cab and tray(on mine anyway). I couldnt get an even half decent picture. Still would need to take off the tray but maybe plastiweld another peice of plastic over the top?
Whats this vent actually for?? Does it just equaliser cabin pressure ??

That would be my guess Manning. I've never heard of someone getting water in getting this vent before either.

If your taking the tub off, clean with metho and use silicone mate no dramas

This is the cab ventilation outlet, it allows the air from the blower to exit the cab with the windows up. It has a thin plastic inner that acts like a one way valve. Air goes out, water and air cannot pass back in. If the road noise is an issue now with the seats removed simply place a piece of 12mm sound absorbing foam from Clark Rubber over the vent and attach it with double sided tape.

This is the cab ventilation outlet, it allows the air from the blower to exit the cab with the windows up. It has a thin plastic inner that acts like a one way valve. Air goes out, water and air cannot pass back in. If the road noise is an issue now with the seats removed simply place a piece of 12mm sound absorbing foam from Clark Rubber over the vent and attach it with double sided tape.

Do this. we do it from new to help with dust/noise

Happy John is spot on the money. If you're pumping air into the car from outside, it has to go somewhere or you'll need a decompression chamber after every trip.

General rule of thumb: on "external air", your cabin air vents are drawing air from outside the vehicle. On "internal air", your cabin vents are drawing about 10% of the air from outside, the rest is recycled. That's essential, to prevent carbon dioxide build-up.

Want to test it? Go to inside-only air with the windows up and stop behind a Hyundai Excel. You'll soon smell the burning oil.

Water ingress - unlikely due to two things. First there's a membrane over it preventing it, although it won't be perfect - if you stop window-deep in a river, you'll probably see some water come in.

Second, when you're traversing water that deep - you don't ever bloody stop!

Latest posts

Back