Hey Guys!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1k3m1

Reaction score
hello there guys, im a new fella to the navara forums. and the whole navara scene.

Ive been reading through these forums learning new things before i go and buy my new rocket..

Still deciding really on what to get, i like the look of the D22's and they seam to be a pretty solid truck, however im still trying to get my head around if diesel or petrols a better option for me, it looks like if i get a diesel from 2004 onwards im safe from anything blowing up, because it looks like the pre-2004's didnt have the best engines?

none the less im still learning the whole 4x4 scene as i come from a holden commodore street car background (many fines forced me to start liking a new hobby! lol).. So expect me to ask a heap of newbie questions, and point me which way to go.

So ill start the idiot questions with whats usually the best mods to start off with 4wding?.. Im planning on sorta easy stuff for now, till i get my head around it then ending up with more extreme work!!!

Im guessing some kind of lift kit, big tyres? lol, a winch, and good recovery stuff right?

Anyway thanks guys, i hope to learn lots from you guys and get some help and friends along the way! (I dont have any 4wd friends lol, im the lost sheep) :rock:

Hi mate and welcome. You can't go wrong with a d22. I have one and love it. As for petrol or diesel I can't help you much there. But for offroad work a lift and good muddies are a start. Your own recovery gear is always handy. You can get away without a winch if you are always with a few other 4x4s but if you plan on going out on your own a winch won't go astray. Have a look through the members rides section to see how others have set there's up.

Welcome to the forum!

Diesels have a higher servicing cost and components are more expensive, but they tend to use less fuel and you can't cross the river if your spark plug leads aren't dry. You can fit a snorkel to a petrol and you can put a wading bra across the front (highly recommended for ANY vehicle in water to prevent damage from debris) but the smallest amount of water causing the HT leads to short and you stop in the water.

If you don't intend to do water crossings or distant outback trips far from major towns then the petrol ought to be fine. We went to Uluru with ours and there are fuel stations every couple of hundred km up through central Aus - Port Augusta, Glendambo, Coober Pedy, Woomera turnoff (Woomera is about 6km off the highway but there's a truck port on the highway), Marla, Erldunda ... that's as far as we got on the main highway, we found fuel in Kings Canyon and Yulara as well, but even the roadhouses at Mt Ebenezer and Curtin Springs sell fuel.

It's places like the Tanami and the CSR that you may lean towards a diesel for but they've been done in petrol vehicles.

Welcome to the forum, D40 owner here and i've had it being modded up since before i picked it up. I'm 45mins away from you, the first thing you need is a UHF I believe as this is a Safety device. Other than that...Lift Kit, Driving Lights (for bush driving in particular), Snorkel, winch and recovery gear, decent Recovery points, Decent All Terrains as a minimum (go up a size or so with the new tyres) and the list goes on.... There will be no stopping you once you start.

thanks guys for the warm welcome, really have no idea what i wanna do about mods yet hah. is it true about the pre-2004 D22's having bad diesel motors?

Nah, mate. I've got a 2003 diesel with 160,000 kms on it and hasn't given an ounce of trouble since new. You might be thinking of the pre 2004 Patrol diesels (same motor but different) which had a tendency to go bang. Nothing inherently wrong with the motor in the navaras.

Welcome to the forum and keep asking questions - plenty of knowledge here.

Latest posts

Back