HELP!!! Engine light is on

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAV6779

Reaction score
I installed my intercooler today and once everything was back together again i started the truck, it started ok and ran fine fine for a min or so when i heard a ting after i revved it. The motor immediately ran like shit so i turned it off to make sure everything was ok, after checking for obvious stuff i started it again and it started and idled abit rough, i then revved it to just over 1500 rpm and the engine light came on. I have disconnected the battery and returned everything back to factory but it is still doing it. The motor actually sounds like it is ticking now and when i rev it the light comes straight on, i had to move the boost sensor when installing the IC but from what i have read if it plays up then the engine light doesnt come on. I am going back out tomorrow to try and retrieve the fault code to see what is happening.
Any other sensors or things i should be checking ???

I installed my intercooler today and once everything was back together again i started the truck, it started ok and ran fine fine for a min or so when i heard a ting after i revved it. The motor immediately ran like shit so i turned it off to make sure everything was ok, after checking for obvious stuff i started it again and it started and idled abit rough, i then revved it to just over 1500 rpm and the engine light came on. I have disconnected the battery and returned everything back to factory but it is still doing it. The motor actually sounds like it is ticking now and when i rev it the light comes straight on, i had to move the boost sensor when installing the IC but from what i have read if it plays up then the engine light doesnt come on. I am going back out tomorrow to try and retrieve the fault code to see what is happening.
Any other sensors or things i should be checking ???

You didn't leave anything in the pipework when fitting the intercooler by chance?

Sounds like the ting may be something being sucked up into the intake, rough running may be internal combustion chamber damage.

Hope not. Good Luck.

Greg

Not that im aware of, the ting sound isnt actually coming from the motor ( i think) and its not running really rough just at a slower rpm. The main problem is when you rev the motor it seems to get to just over 1000rpm and then the light comes on and it doesnt like to rev.

I put in an extended piece of tube because i wanted to keep the original pipe from the turbo, but i have changed that all back to standard now. Can i clean the map sensor???

It was an xr6 cooler, the truck is in at nissan now so I guess I will find out what is gong on soon

Can anyone show me a pic of the crank angle sensor and the harmonic balancer???

Try a Google image search for both terms you'll get a fair idea of what each looks like.

So its the harmonic balancer, the small star section behind it has been bent from something and its not sending the correct signal back to the crank angle sensor which then causes the light to come on and the tune of the engine is obviously out.
Its going to cost about $500 to fix, i think its time to sell the Nav!!

Yep so far thats it, i may have to replace the crank angle sensor if they find it faulty as well. I guess the big problem is when you hear that so many zd30's blow a turbo or hole the pistons it just scares you. This truck is my daily driver and so far this week i have not been able to get to work for two days and that could turn into being the rest of the week. I do love the navara though, its only got 94000km on the clock but it just scares the sh!t out of me when you read all the stories posted on the net about the zd30.

Mines done over 200,000km's.

Friday Ill be getting my bullbar removed by me and my brother to send it away to get repaired.

Then I am getting mine dynoed and the newer and better turbo installed.

My turbo is the original.

Add the gauges and block the EGR and maintain it.

Id drive mine to WA tomorrow if I needed to with 200,000km's on the clock.

I have the egr blocked and gauges installed, I service the truck every 5000kms and have kitted it out with a lokka, dual battery system, stienbuarer chip, Arb canopy, 265x75x16 bIghorns with just over 500 kms on them, car pc, roof racks, tjm bash plate and I will finish the intercooler this weekend.

hey mate i wouldn't listen to all the crap that other people go on with as i also have over 200,000 k's on it they are a great truck my mate has the same model hilux and it is a heap of. he isn't very happy with it and he paid over 6 grand more it has heaps less power his fuel consumption is worse. he has an alternator die on him and other things.
Hope all goes well
Luke

I raced a 1KZTE powered Hilux last night.

I pulled away from him but it still went pretty well.

There prone for cracking the head though.

Latest posts

Back