Help !! Engine blown

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YHA

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here non technically minded and need help.

The timing chain snapped on my 2007 ST-X diesel and the NRMA towed me to a dealer, they have stripped it done and say the only possibl;e answer is to install a new engine......cost fitted $25,000, yes you read it right $25,000.

Anyone had the same, whats the chance of geteting a recon unit from somewhere or does anyone know what I can do now, I'm in Sydney/Wollongong area.

On the forumsd I see it's a common fault Nissan are ignoring, mine is out of warranty, 2007 and 120,000k's on the clock.

Yes it was $25,000 they quoted.

HELP !!! Please.

Welcome to the forums.

I don't know that it's a "common fault", there might be a few stories on the internet about it happening but a few stories really doesn't represent just how many Nav's there are in this world and there is quite a few people on here with engines of as similar age who haven't had the issue.

Not sure on how you will go but you could try Niss4x4 wreckers in Williamstown Vic. forum members who have used them say they are good to deal with and they will ship things all over the country.

Welcome to the forum!

That's not good to hear. The thing should have been rattling away a bit before the chain let go, but now that it's gone, the valves will be bent and pushed into piston crowns, valve guides will be shot, conrods might be bent and there may even be some main bearing damage. A replacement motor is the easier way to go.

I'd try a wrecker as Krafty suggests Niss4x4 in Vic may be able to help you there, but there are others around the country. Freight isn't going to be the cheapest since it's not an easy lift - these engines weigh a considerable amount!

There have been complaints of additional rattle from the front, and it is usually the result of the timing chain tensioner not working properly. I don't remember a single report of this having been left until the chain broke and damaged the engine.

So is it common? It might be, but there haven't been a lot of people in this forum that let the noise go on for that long. It's possible that your tensioner worked and the chain just broke without making a lot of noise, but again it's not something I've seen remarked about before.

That's bad news buddy - sickening in fact. The only small (very small) positive for you is that the Navara (in both flavours) is very common. And just like all cars they occasionally fall off the road - so there should be a few second hand motors laying around.

You could also ring an engine builder for a quote on a rebuild. And if it gets that bad that you are tempted to pay $25k for a motor, then I'd suggest you sell the car for parts and head to the Govvie auctions for a new one!

Sorry to hear about your woes!

Sucks to hear mate, where abouts are you located? As others have said try ringing around a few wreckers to see how much for a second hand engine or see Iv you can get a refurbished unit

For what it's worth, there are usually a few Navs listed on ebay that are being stripped for parts. Look these up, make some calls and see what comes of it. My whole car (2007 STX V6 petrol with 160K) was less than that!

Last edited:
I thought a new engine was around $8-9000. I'm sure i've read that before on here.

theres an extended warranty on the timming chain,as with every other nissan fault they aint making it known and youll need full service history bang on the dot to get it,plenty of uk trucks having problems with there chains

Hi all, I'm new here non technically minded and need help.

The timing chain snapped on my 2007 ST-X diesel and the NRMA towed me to a dealer, they have stripped it done and say the only possibl;e answer is to install a new engine......cost fitted $25,000, yes you read it right $25,000.

Anyone had the same, whats the chance of geteting a recon unit from somewhere or does anyone know what I can do now, I'm in Sydney/Wollongong area.

On the forumsd I see it's a common fault Nissan are ignoring, mine is out of warranty, 2007 and 120,000k's on the clock.

Yes it was $25,000 they quoted.

HELP !!! Please.
Hi , sorry to hear about your engine , but that's cars for ya. Before I rebuilt my ZD 30 I dabbled in the idea of putting in a later model 2.5 and 6 speed manual , but when I was quoted 10 grand I changed my mind. That was from a 4x4 wrecker in wyong NSW .

jace3.0td said:
theres an extended warranty on the timming chain,as with every other nissan fault they aint making it known and youll need full service history bang on the dot to get it,plenty of uk trucks having problems with there chains

Not true....

Is there any thing that can be salvaged from your motor, like DIESEL PUMP, TURBO, FUEL RAIL,
Because if there is that should drop the price of a second hand motor if it comes minus those parts.
The pump and turbo has to save you a few grand at least.

There was a guy on here a couple of months back that got nissan to pay for Timing chain replacement well after his warranty run out.
I cant remember which thread it was in but if you start searching you will find it.
He spoke with Nissan customer service and said he remained very nice and civil, and after a bit of a wait they got back to him and paid for it to be fixed.
not sure how you will go with the whole engine but its worth a shot.

I will try and find the thread i was talking about

Bad news dude, sorry to hear. Expensive motors aren't they. I bought my nav second hand, and the owner b4 me cooked the motor. It had a second hand motor put in it, from a wreckers in nsw ( all receipts were in the glovebox. He paid $9800 for a motor with 150k on it and Nissan $2000 to fit it. that was in 2010. That should give you a ballpark figure, but I wish you all the best, hopefully you can find a bargain. I second the alternative, put a crate ls1 with all engineering and modifying, may be a close quote but least it's a new and angry motor..

There was a guy on here a couple of months back that got nissan to pay for Timing chain replacement well after his warranty run out.
I cant remember which thread it was in but if you start searching you will find it.
He spoke with Nissan customer service and said he remained very nice and civil, and after a bit of a wait they got back to him and paid for it to be fixed.
not sure how you will go with the whole engine but its worth a shot.

I will try and find the thread i was talking about

Ok so i found the thread i was talking about.

It was posted by Roscoe07.

Here is a link, if you read the whole lot you will see what i was talking about. Especially page 2, thats where he states that Nissan are going to cover it with over 125k on the clock.

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=11885

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Thnaks

Thnaks for all the comments I'll see what happens and post the results here for you, have several garages quotong now and another searching for a used unit, dealership cost is astronomical I still cant believe he said $25,000

I know this will sound bad, but eBay. Their is a Nissan dealer in Vic selling excess stock on eBay and they have brand new motors listed.
I just bought some new floor mats of them.

From Nissan Customers Services dated 14 November 2011, part of the letter :-

"I can advise that the timing chain issue which affected your vehicle was identified as being subject to a technical campaign. Nissan Motor (GB) Ltd extended the pan European warranty of 3 years and/or 60,000 miles (whichever comes first) to 5 years and/or 93,000 miles, for this issue, and therefore, the repair to your vehicle was covered under the warranty.

I understand your request for further information regarding the timing chain issue; however, as I am sure you will appreciate, it is difficult for me to give accurate technical advice over the phone or by letter. Rather than being helpful, it may lead to an inaccurate diagnosis or inaccurate information about the issue. However, I can confirm that the dealership has carried out the repair, as per the technical campaign, to rectify the issue"

(The lack of correspondance re the issue is I believe they didn't want to supply the information because I was going to take legal action.)

I then had this from them dated 25 November 2011. The most important point is the date identified by Nissan :-

"With reference to the issue we have identified as affecting the lower timing chain, and for the avoidance of doubt, the component failure is subject to an extended warranty of 5 years and/or 93,000 miles (whichever comes first) since 12 September 2011 and is, therefore, honoured by our contractual obligation to repair the vehicle under the terms of the manufacturer's pan European warranty"
http://www.nissan-navara.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26895
got this of www.nissan-navara.net

Latest posts

Back