help: d40 spanish 2012 built limp mode

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J13NST

Reaction score
Hi, i recently join this forum to get some tips and helps. (mainly tips) as i expected better from new car and hoping not to post any trouble. but it happened month and 3400km from brand new.

This happened while i was driving on highway about 200km since i left home.

Engine went limp mode? where won't accel more than 2-2.5k rpm. and there was no Engine Light.

So i stoped the car waited about 5min to cool it down and shut down engine for 15min.

So I restarted the engine. It seems like it resetted and was driving fine for 30km, but it happened again.

After I got to my destination. 260km since i left home. I called Road side assist, they told me they gonna get my towed and give me hired car.
But car will be towed to closest dealer ship and i need to come back down once car is fixed. since it was 3hr drive down. i wasn't gonna take that offer, so i asked them if car is still alright to drive back home. they said it will be fine but i will be restricted on speed.

So 2days after I started my engine and walla i see Engine light, however Limp mode dispeared for 50km and came back.

So i drove at 75km 5hr drive back from ulladulla to sydney. with few stops one the way. every time i shut down engine it seems limp mode dispear but comes back after few k's down the track. However engine light hasn't dispeared since it came on.

So question is has anyone experienced something like this?

It seems there are endless of people getting limp mode on d40 according to search engine.

Basically limp mode is there to try and protect the engine if the ECU (computer) thinks the engine is doing something that it cant adjust and will cause failure, there is a million reasons why it could be doing it, from water in the fuel filter unit to suction control valve or "MAF" sensor ect ect.
When the check engine light come on it would of given you a code of flashes to tell you what area the ECU thinks there is a problem.
What you need to do is find out what that code is, then we can help with how to fix the problem.
BUT with the ute being so new you will be covered by warranty and Nissan will plug the car into there computer and run the "consult" program which they will then be able to see exactly why the ECU is doing that.
My tip is to get it towed from your house ASAP and let Nissan figure it out.

so i took it in to dealer. no complimently vehicle available and cant get nissan to get me loan car till navara is diagnoised. and i asked when it will be done. pretty much said can be today tmrw or weeks down the track. wtf? honestly i still do like nissan but if i knew this car had so much issue with sensors,clutch and turbo issue might had second thought. thought navara were realiable car hence why i got rid of my spare car. big mistake.

very unlucky mate! my advice would be a little more insistent with the dealership. fair enough they're busy, but I'd be saying the cars a month old, I can't drive, can't you at least plug the computer into it and see what the issue is??? They may not be able to fix it straight away, but surely they could do that

they did and said it's EGR sensor.. good new is that part has been upgraded. and bad news they dont' have it in stock need to get one from Japan. So they said they organise to get hire car from Nissan that is under $50 per day so won't be same car Navara but something rather small car which i didn't really care. At least i have car to get to work. don't think 4hrs public transport in the morning and afternoon would have made me angry customer.

^ Thats piss poor.

The Navara is a commercial vehicle, Nissan should be providing another Navara, a Triton, Hilux, Dmax or whatever.

Not a bloody hatchback.

not sure it said that the EGR sensor has been updated and it has to come from Japan.
And also nissan can only offer $50 per day limits on hire car. i think they can hire me ute at that price single cab one but i would rather have 5seater vehicle for kid at the back.
Anyway in someway its good that it happen now rather than me driving to fraser island or something. (which i have on plan later this year) but same time it's shit that if they knew something needs to be updated why didnt' they do that before selling the car.

must be a certain build date or something they were having the same probs down here in hobart and the part that was needed couldn't be released from japan until this month sometime, they were taking the part out of other D40's in the yard for peaple that really needed there car to get them on the road again. Be nice if all dealers were the same when my bonnet got resprayed i said i needed a car to get to my farm in hylands and they gave me a D40 for a week.

check that yours isn't part of the drive belt recall. the tensioner on my belt shit itself, I had it replaced under warrenty then 2 weeks later got a letter in the mail saying there was a recall due to the tensioners being fitted incoorectly. Mines Jan 12 build I think

mine is sep/12 built.. same for blkvtr i believe

Yep same, what bothers me more is I was just about to do the exhaust and chip the same week it happened, I asked the stealership when I picked mine up from the repair if I had an aftermarket exhaust would warranty still have covered the faulty egt sensors or would they have blamed the exhaust, they would not give me an answer so I don't know if I'll bother modding it at all....

i got suzuki swift with 2750 excess fee hired car today three days fter my car went in for egr repair in dealership. i have contacted dealership after talking to few of my collegues and told me to ask dealer for compensation and if they dont have chat with fair trading. so no surprise dealer said this is nothing to do with us and have talk to service and parts. i end up calling fair trading and pretty much they said under consumer law i can ask them for full refund or replacement of the car. beside this wasnt first issue that car had. had rusts on brand new car. bolts and washers at front wheel well, and steering drum looking thing under bonnet. and rear drum brake and few on chassis. they did address this issue however saying that who expects to see rust on brand new car and going unschedule twice within 6 weeks of purchase and one of them being expected to be 2weeks +-1week. so i end lodging complaint as what fairtrading strongly recommended to do. let see how this goes. worst case i will be on same spot as i am now.

got the car yesterday, all fixed and good to go. sensor has been upgraded to new updated version. however i still smell weird bunning smell in the morning when cold.
Not sure if that's unburned diesel or not. as this is first diesel car i owned. and still makes faint siren noise from turbo (goes away after 5min driving) not sure if i should tell them this. is this normal?

Hey mate I've just purchased a new st. Very happy with it although I have also noticed that faint siren noise from the turbo. I've heard it's normal but not sure.

You must mean EGT (exhaust gas temp) sensor? these are very common on the YDK4, failure due to thermal shock. the parts have now been modified to prevent failure. Although the D40 is built in spain or thailand the parts supply is still from Japan. Unfortunately

You must mean EGT (exhaust gas temp) sensor? these are very common on the YDK4, failure due to thermal shock. the parts have now been modified to prevent failure. Although the D40 is built in spain or thailand the parts supply is still from Japan. Unfortunately

nah mate.. egr sensor. :) google it..

Back