Help and advice needed please!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLI

Reaction score
:sad:

G,day gents,

I want to install the following gauges to my D40;

(a) Boost,
(b) EGT,
(c) Oil pressure and
(d) water temp

Firstly, I would like your advise and help on which is the easiest areas to install the sensors to the D40 motor,

1. Can you install the boost sensor into the ally inlet pipe of the manifold
where the intercooler hose pipe connects to in front of the radiator on
the drivers side of the vehicle? Or can please advice of a better location.

2. Which is the best area for mounting the EGT sensor?

3. I note the oil temp switch is on driver’s side next to the oil cooler, is
there an easier fitting option than that location?

4. Do you have to plumb the water temp sensor into the radiator hoses?

5. Which is the best location to feed the sensors through, especially given
the size of the water temp sensor on auto meter gauge .

Secondly, the reason why i am seeking this advise is, I currently have my old auto meter gauges that have come of my old 4.2 turbo intercooled GU patrol, which i sold over 7 years ago. I have only come back into the off road scene in the twelve months, so i am rusty on what has occurred over the last 6/7 years regarding general tech advice. I have noted in the short time that i have owned my Navara that the D40 is a very diagnostic sensor riddled 4x4. I have also heard on the grape vine in NSW that it is illegal to fit oil pressure lines inside the dash, is this correct?

Thirdly, are there any other new product options out there than can do the same job as my old auto-meter gauges? If so could you please advise.

Fourthly, does anyone have any photos of their installations as a reference or guide, has I am a monkey see monkey do sought of a guy?

If you are in the Coffs Harbour area and need advice on good locations to camp or good 4x4 tracts to explore please feel free to contact me.

Your help and assistance is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

RLI

I'm sure I've seen this post before (or similar) but I'll have a go anyway. I can't help with everything.

1) Put it anywhere between the intake valves and the turbo compressor output where you can manage. It could go in the intercooler for all it matters - the boost pressure should be the same all the way through.

2) I'm going to mount mine on the exhaust manifold itself. I could mount it on the "other" side of the turbocharger - but since there's a 150-200C drop across the turbine, I'd rather have a more accurate idea of what temps are going INTO the turbocharger. The important reason for monitoring the EGT is to look at what temps the turbocharger is getting, and to know when it's cool enough to shut the engine down.

3) I'm not sure on this one. You could put a new sensor in the side of the sump but I don't recommend doing that.

4) Definitely not. The radiator hoses are supposed to be replaceable and flexible. I suppose you could always manufacture a metal insert to hold the sensor and cut the lower hose, inserting your device into that and clamping it as you normally would. It creates two extra points of failure. The ECU does get this information and I do believe a ScanGauge will display this.

5) I used the grommet behind the fuse/relay box that is behind the ABS unit on the passenger side of the vehicle to route my radio cables through. Let me find a picture...

Cable_Routing_Out_Of_Cabin.jpg

I don't know if you cannot send an oil-filled line into the cabin, but it's something that I would not do.

New products: try Scangauge. Several Navara owners have one and a search for "scangauge" should reveal several threads about it. There are photos of them around the place too.

I'm sure I've seen this post before (or similar) but I'll have a go anyway. I can't help with everything.

1) Put it anywhere between the intake valves and the turbo compressor output where you can manage. It could go in the intercooler for all it matters - the boost pressure should be the same all the way through.

2) I'm going to mount mine on the exhaust manifold itself. I could mount it on the "other" side of the turbocharger - but since there's a 150-200C drop across the turbine, I'd rather have a more accurate idea of what temps are going INTO the turbocharger. The important reason for monitoring the EGT is to look at what temps the turbocharger is getting, and to know when it's cool enough to shut the engine down.

3) I'm not sure on this one. You could put a new sensor in the side of the sump but I don't recommend doing that.

4) Definitely not. The radiator hoses are supposed to be replaceable and flexible. I suppose you could always manufacture a metal insert to hold the sensor and cut the lower hose, inserting your device into that and clamping it as you normally would. It creates two extra points of failure. The ECU does get this information and I do believe a ScanGauge will display this.

5) I used the grommet behind the fuse/relay box that is behind the ABS unit on the passenger side of the vehicle to route my radio cables through. Let me find a picture...

Cable_Routing_Out_Of_Cabin.jpg

I don't know if you cannot send an oil-filled line into the cabin, but it's something that I would not do.

New products: try Scangauge. Several Navara owners have one and a search for "scangauge" should reveal several threads about it. There are photos of them around the place too.

Thanks for your advise Tony.

Yesterday, i took your advise and removed the exhaust manifold and i am glad i did as two of the bolts were loose. Today i am going to fit the EGT sensor into the exhaust manifold as you suggested and boost probe into
the turbo compressor output side ally housing.

With the removal of the exhaust manifold and air intake hoses. I have decided to tap and die into the top radiator hose housing that is attached to the head.

With regards to the oil pressure sender, i have researched that speco do a sandwich plate that fits over the existing oil filter mount. I have to modify the oil filter housing to allow access for sender attachements and oil bypass hose to fit.

Thanks for the photo to access cable fittings, i have removed the large foam gromet to allow easy access for all sensor cabling to fitted.

I have taken photos for future reference for the forum.

Regards,

RLI

Latest posts

Back