Had a bad run with an STX 550. Anyone like to comment?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Called round to Bay City (again) as there had been no calls as to progress.
Have now been informed that Nissan are considering the intercooler amongst other things.
Wayne, (Service Manager, Bay city), informed me that they had worked on the vehicle for about half an hour to an hour yesterday and were hoping to spend some time on it today after lunch.
I rang Chris Hughes (Sales Manager, Bay City) to complain of the spasmodic work times in regards to my vehicle. He stated that there was nothing he could do and that priority was given to people who bought their cars off them.
I informed him that this did not look good for his company. I also stated that after five months I felt that my vehicle should be getting some sort of priority.
He replied, saying that it was up to the workshop manager (Wayne) and that I should take the matter up with him.
I'm now investigating the possibility of having the vehicle transported to the dealership that I bought it off. That's 400kms away.

Getting this in front of a Judge is expensive and would take years, but your right 180, it is totally absurd.
Maybe I should post this onto facebook and every 4x4, caravan and motoring forum that I can find? Name and Shame . . . . . . might work!!

Good idea re: posting it everywhere. You might try sending it to Nissan as well so they know it is being plastered everywhere. Pretty lame excuse about not having bought it there as I bet they don't mind taking your money for services. Hope it all gets sorted.

I would at the very least seek legal advice, a phone call should be free, well it was when I needed legal help a few years ago, the rest was pretty expensive.

consumer affairs won't do anything...in theory its a good system but in reality it doesn't do much in the way of enforcing any of its legislation.
Hate to say it but your a little off track here.
I went through Consumer Affairs and then to the Fair Trading Tribunal with the help of Consumer Affairs
Long story short Nissan Australia was told to pay to have my D40 completely resprayed due to the poor workmanship and quality of the work they had done by way of Warranty.
There is a way forward using this system however it is by no means a short term deal. it does take time.
Total cost $70 and I did NOT require a solicitor in fact No Solicitors were allowed in the tribunal

Just a little light read from my situation
http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=3286&highlight=tribunal

And a little more
http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=3376&highlight=tribunal

Last edited:
most people think consumer affairs is this silver bullet though, all I ever see is "tell em you'll take em to consumer affairs ra ra ra !" is what you read on most forums when in reality they get involved with very few instances of problems.

Consumer Affairs is only the starting point of a much bigger process.
Nissan even said to me they actually did not expect me to go the distance and thats what most of the manufacturers rely on
They actually expect us to give up and go away a pissed off customer.
If more people actually stuck it to them through tribunals etc then they would actually sit up and take note. But as our way is "Ah Bugger this its too much hassle" then the manufacturers just dont bother to care

In the US they have the "Lemon Laws" otherwise the courts would be chockers with buyers taking manufacturers to court for crap service

Aussie, I take your point in regards to consumer affairs, however their tribunal only extends to $25,000. In my case this involves a $75,000. truck (550 premium pack with just about all the extras, plus Old Man Emu suspention and air bags and a 140lt fuel tank.)
Never the less I am pursuing the matter with Consumer Affairs at this point.
My primary issue is, of course, I don't have a vehicle which is frustrating to the max.
I will be ringing a lawyer later today to investigate that line.

at the very least nissan should be supplying you with a car to drive around in until the matter is resolved.

If Nissan won't fix it would comprehensive insurance cover it? My insurance paid for a hire car for 3 weeks while my car was at the panel beaters.

Found this article and supposedly they are our equivilant of lemon laws

YOU used to have Buckley's chance of returning a dreaded lemon to the car dealer for a replacement or a refund.

As for being compensated for the inconvenience, aggravation, lost income and costs racked up while taking the car from hell to the dealer for a further non-fix under warranty, well, make that virtually no chance either.

Many Australian consumers have tried but only a few very determined people have succeeded, usually after long, expensive battles against squads of car company lawyers in various courts.

The new Australian Consumer Law (ACL), developed by the states and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, came into force on January 1 this year. It's not as tough as US lemon laws, but it gives you much more protection than the maze of state and federal consumer regulations you previously had to navigate to make a case that your car resembled a particularly bitter variety of citrus fruit.

The Australian Consumer Law applies to most goods and services, including new and used cars, except those bought at auction or private sale, where you're still basically on your own.

When you buy a car from a dealer, you now have the protection of legally enforceable consumer guarantees, including that the car is of acceptable quality (which includes being safe, free from defects and durable) and reasonably fit for any purpose you specify when buying it, such as towing.

If you have what the ACL calls a major failure with your car, you are entitled to return it to the dealer to claim a refund, or a replacement -- your choice of an identical new car or one of similar value.

A major failure is when a reasonable consumer would not have bought the car if they had known about the problem, or when the car is substantially unfit for its normal purpose.

In other words -- the car is a lemon.

If you have a minor problem with the car, the dealer is still allowed to fix it under warranty. If you have to get your car fixed at another workshop, you're entitled to claim the cost from the dealer who sold you the car.

However, if the dealer can't fix the problem within a reasonable time, you are also entitled to a refund or a replacement.

So the classic tactic of some dealers and manufacturers stringing you along by saying, ``Just bring it back and we'll try to fix it under warranty'' time and again until the warranty runs out, will no longer work.

And when the warranty expires you are still protected by the ACL's consumer guarantees -- but a used car's age and kilometres since you bought it will be taken into account when determining your entitlements.

The ACL also addresses one of the other great traps of the car business -- the extended warranty. Many new and used car buyers have paid thousands of dollars for one of these, on the (mis)understanding that, first, it's the only way to cover themselves against repair costs when the factory warranty runs out and, second, that when they make a claim under the warranty, it will be honoured.

Those same car buyers have often found, to their great cost, that these extended warranties sometimes are not worth the paper they are written on.

They are, first and foremost, a way to increase a dealer's profit margin on the car. Most have very onerous conditions, including mandatory servicing schedules at the dealer who sold you the car. In the worst cases, consumers have called the helpline number on the warranty policy only to find there's nothing other than an answering machine on the other end of the line.

The ACL states that manufacturers and dealers must not pressure you into buying an extended warranty, or tell you that you have to buy one.

In fact, you now have rights under the ACL's guarantees that are equal to or greater than any supposed benefits you're paying for under an extended warranty policy.

If you think you've bought a lemon, the first step is to tell the dealer.

``You should go to the dealer who sold you the car and point out to them that they are legally obliged to provide you with a car that does what it is supposed to do under the ACL consumer guarantees,'' Katrina Lee from Choice says.

Dealers can no longer pass the buck by telling you to take your car's problems up with the manufacturer. The dealer is responsible, under the ACL, for providing you with a replacement or a refund. The dealer can then sort out reimbursement from the manufacturer. That's his problem, not yours.

However, the ACL also imposes similar customer guarantee obligations on manufacturers and importers, including car companies.

A manufacturer must guarantee, to you, the consumer, that the new car you have bought is of acceptable quality and matches the description on which you based your decision to buy it. A manufacturer must also guarantee the availability of repairs and spare parts for a reasonable time after you have bought the car.

If the manufacturer fails to meet one of these consumer guarantees, you also have rights against them.

You are entitled to ask for an amount covering the drop in value of the car as a consequence of the manufacturer's failure to meet any consumer guarantee.

You are also entitled to claim compensation for costs such as lost time, income or productivity caused by the problems with your car.

``We would hope that dealers understand that if they don't take these consumer guarantees seriously, then they leave themselves open to action from the ACCC,'' Lee says.

If the dealer wants to argue about whether your car is a lemon, tells you to keep bringing it back for warranty repairs or simply refuses to acknowledge your rights under the Australian Consumer Law, you should notify the ACCC, the federal regulator responsible for ensuring that dealers and manufacturers comply with the law, and contact the consumer tribunal in your state or territory, which will advise you on how to get some long overdue lemon-aid.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-news/lemon_story

Aussie, thank you for a very informative article. It has highlighted a lot of points.
Everything I read in this article is as ACL explained. However when your claim or expected claim exceeds $25,000.00 then they will advise you that ,after they have tried to mediate, your only other option is through the courts. ACL is, after all ,only a free community service.
I specifically asked ACL who enforces their laws and was told the courts, which as we all know is a long and expensive process.

To high light this fact in my situation, I received a call from ACL today informing me that they had pursued every avenue and were now closing my file as they can only spend a limited amount of time on each complaint received.
In all fairness to them, they have had a positive effect. If nothing else I now have a phone number for someone higher up in Nissan.
I was able to speak to Nissan this afternoon and confirm that they have a copy of my fault record (see first post). They have informed me that they are not happy with the progress or treatment of this matter by the dealership (Bay City Auto, Hervey Bay) and were investigating the possibility of having the vehicle moved to the dealer from whom I bought it from.
Nissan have also said that the vehicle needs to be diagnosed before any further action can be considered.
Let's be honest we still don't know whats wrong with the bloody thing yet!
I consider this to be a very positive step as I have a lot of faith in this dealership as this is the fifth new vehicle I have purchased from them. They have also indicated that they would be keen to have the vehicle as they consider that they have a degree of responsibility.
I know everyone will ask, why didn't I take it to them in the first place. Well for one they are 400kms away and given that the vehicle was stopping without warning, I considered that it was too dangerous to drive. Yes, I know, I should have transported it, but WHY?
I have a Nissan dealership just around the corner . . . . . . Hindsight is such a wonderful thing, isn't it?
Anyway, at approx five pm tonight I received a call from the Ipswich dealership (where I bought the car from) to say that Nissan had agreed and that the vehicle will be transported to their yard as soon as possible.
Whilst we are not out of the woods yet, I feel that ACL were instrumental in achieving this outcome.

On a lighter note, or maybe harder depending on your view, I spent over four years as a court officer in Brisbane and the one thing above all else that I learnt was

Justice is only for those who can afford it!

I'll leave you with that for the moment and keep posting as things progress
Again, thanks for the support, if nothing else, this forum has helped me retain my sanity.

Well that is a step in the right direction, It is a shame the dealers up wont come to the party when selling cars, they are all the same, not just nissan.
As berndty has said he went to brisbane for his and has been told in maryborough his car is at the bottom of the list because he did buy it from them, now to me that is a shit act, at the end of the day you are still paying for services with them, and as far as i am concerned these dealers represent NISSAN AUSTRALIA and you should be able to take them any in the country and get them same service for warranty issues. after all nissan aus pay them for the warranty work.

Cheers
bryan

When I first had my truck serviced by the local dealer and not the dealer I bought if from the Service manager was cancelling parts orders etc. Long story short I got wind of this and confronted the little prick. I told him point blank I would be ringing Nissan , in fact did it while standing on front of him, and reporting that his dealership was not acting as per the Nissan policy and that I wanted a formal complaint lodged and if any further crap happened i would be lodging things with the court . I had no rear shocks, both had bled out and this little prick was just dragging it out. Anyway I threatened him personally with court for trying to keep my vehicle in a dangerous and unroadworthy condition. I had new shocks delivered next day from Melbourne.
Dealerships all try this crap but we as consumers actually have rights and Nissan if they have any balls are responsible for looking out for their customers namely US.
Now if your truck happens to break down right in the driveway of their service department and you have to leave it and lock it while you get it sorted now who can object lol

Hey mate had a quick read it sounds like the relief valve on your rail is faulty.. it would pay to shim it and see if it will go into limp mode again.

Hi 4byfor,
Bay City replaced the entire rail so I can only suppose that the relief valve would have been included in that. They did tell me that they had replaced the boost valve . . . I wonder if that's the same thing?

Anyway, it looks like things are (finally) starting to happen.
The vehicle is being transported to the dealership that I bought it from and Nissan are arranging a loan vehicle.
I was able to contact Nissan via a phone number provided by Fair Trading and things have really started to move. Not before time mind you.

This dosn't say much for Bay City Motors!
It will be interesting to see just what transpires.

Perhaps when this is all over and I get my truck back I might be able to enter it in the classic car shows. It will probably be old enough by then. LOL

Hi 4byfor,
Bay City replaced the entire rail so I can only suppose that the relief valve would have been included in that. They did tell me that they had replaced the boost valve . . . I wonder if that's the same thing?

Anyway, it looks like things are (finally) starting to happen.
The vehicle is being transported to the dealership that I bought it from and Nissan are arranging a loan vehicle.
I was able to contact Nissan via a phone number provided by Fair Trading and things have really started to move. Not before time mind you.

This dosn't say much for Bay City Motors!
It will be interesting to see just what transpires.

Perhaps when this is all over and I get my truck back I might be able to enter it in the classic car shows. It will probably be old enough by then. LOL

Lol good luck man

Well guys, a final update to this sordid story.
I did forget to mention that approx a month before the vehicle developed its first fault, I had a long range (140ltr) tank fitted by ARB in Hervey Bay. ( I also had Old Man Emu suspention fitted with airbags).
Anyway it appears that the tank contained a large amount of welding slag/splatter and this clogged the pickup as well as this the fuel lines were routed across the top of the fuel tank and were partially crushed between the top of the tank and the bottom of the tub/tray thus starving the engine of fuel, especially on acceleration.

Ian Boetcher Motors of Ipswich, the dealership that sold me the vehicle, in conjunction with Nissan arranged for the vehicle to be transported to Ipswich and in less than two days had both diagnosed the fault and rectified it!
This cost me $1688.00, which I paid without hesitation.
This cost will, of course, be presented to ARB in Hervey Bay.

Ian Boettcher Motors also supplied a loan vehicle for the days that they had my vehicle.
The loan vehicle was a 2013 Navara ST with 19 kms on the clock. This is not the first time that Boettchers have assisted me. Is it any wonder that I have bought a number of vehicles from them and, although they may not be aware of it, so have a number of my friends.

For those of you that posted suggestions, please be assured, they were all considered and I learnt a lot, Thank you for the support, all of you.

I am not leaving the forum and will, from time to time contribute where I can, again, thanks.

PS The 550 is an awesome tow tug, I was getting worried that it may have had some inherent problem . . . . . it hasn't !!!

Oh my ... no wonder we were scratching our heads on this one! Slag IN the tank AND crushed fuel lines ... good to hear it's resolved, congratulations Nissan on having a decent dealer there and bloody hell, ARB - I think you've got a mechanic who needs their ass kicked.

WTF!! Bay City never thought to check that part of the fuel system!! they looked at every other item in the fuel system but never bothered to look at the biggest part of the fuel system that had just been mucked around with??? I just cant believe it :confused3:

Great to hear that you are back on the road and you can finally use the 550,
Best of luck from here on in, lets hope you dont have any more issues.

Latest posts

Back