GVM upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperST-R

Reaction score
So my camper trailer is up for sale and more plotting and planning is underway in building my Navvy into great allround tourer. As I'm planning on having a fibreglass canopy, drawer system, (possibley) 60 litre water tank and Engel fridge residing in the back, the question arises of will I need a GVM upgrade or will a good 2 inch heavy duty suspension be suffice?

I am aware that some Navvy owners have had trouble with cracking chassis due to incorrect loading and other reasons, so very careful consideration is going into weight dispercement with the water tank going to the very front of the tub and lightweight but strong drawer system being designed. I will be fitting a side awning and will possibley get a basket for the roof racks at a later time.

Any tips would be very handy.

Unsure which d22 drivers have had issues with cracking chassis. Was more prone in the d40. I did a trip lastyear to cape with 60l fridge all the camping gear and kitchen gear gas etc all in the tub. I have a hd spring back and never had any issues. Far may jot have been really well loaded evenly but also having baskets on top for tent extra fuel etc certainly added to the weight. Also had a 125l fuel tank strapped underneath on the sane side which the fridge was sitting.

Just be careful if you get airbags not to over inflate as that's a big killer. If you can put up with the hd springs with the car empty its the way to go

Unsure which d22 drivers have had issues with cracking chassis. Was more prone in the d40. I did a trip lastyear to cape with 60l fridge all the camping gear and kitchen gear gas etc all in the tub. I have a hd spring back and never had any issues. Far may jot have been really well loaded evenly but also having baskets on top for tent extra fuel etc certainly added to the weight. Also had a 125l fuel tank strapped underneath on the sane side which the fridge was sitting.

Just be careful if you get airbags not to over inflate as that's a big killer. If you can put up with the hd springs with the car empty its the way to go

I know of one person who had a D22 which busted the chassis behind the cab but in saying that from hearing how he treated that truck it was going to happen anyway.

I have been reading alot about your build Rusty, and have to say it's very close to what I want with a few differences. I do have a smaller fridge then yours but I do have a bit of heavy camping gear. Tent wise I'll be geating an Oztrail RV2 which doesn't hold much weight but it would probably be better on the roof with a few other things. I'll have to invest in some bags of concrete to improve the ride if it gets to harsh. Have you replaced your torsion bars as well?

No mate. Still using genuine torsion bars just with efs shocks. Hopefully soon ill get some $$ to finish the front end suspension.

Hey mate, Ive got a 50ltr fridge plus two extra batteries and a drawer system in the tub, also a canopy with a steel roof rack and 2 spare wheels permanently mounted on the rack. I also tow a 2 tonne trailer everyday. All I did was replace the shocks and put air bags in the back, Ive had that setup for around 50000ks now without any problems. I looked at heavy duty springs too but was a bit concerned about the lack of comfort .
But as has already been said, just because you put air bags in does not mean you can whack 2 tonnes in the tray, don't overload it and try to keep as much of the weight towards the front of the tub as possible. Also, trailers need to be loaded correctly.

Hey mate, Ive got a 50ltr fridge plus two extra batteries and a drawer system in the tub, also a canopy with a steel roof rack and 2 spare wheels permanently mounted on the rack. I also tow a 2 tonne trailer everyday. All I did was replace the shocks and put air bags in the back, Ive had that setup for around 50000ks now without any problems. I looked at heavy duty springs too but was a bit concerned about the lack of comfort .
But as has already been said, just because you put air bags in does not mean you can whack 2 tonnes in the tray, don't overload it and try to keep as much of the weight towards the front of the tub as possible. Also, trailers need to be loaded correctly.

That's good to know. I don't think I'll be carrying that much weight but who knows down the track. I was looking at airbags but not sure about them. So I think what I'll do is leave the suspension stock as it currently is, do the canopy etc and see how it travels from there. I don't want to start messing around with the suspension set up and make it ten times worse then it currently is.

When I put on my canopy the factory shocks were buggered within a month! The ass of the car dropped to the stage where the leaves were inverted the wrong way, If you have a look at aftermarket shocks you will realize how tiny the original ones are! Good luck with what ever you choose.

When I put on my canopy the factory shocks were buggered within a month! The ass of the car dropped to the stage where the leaves were inverted the wrong way, If you have a look at aftermarket shocks you will realize how tiny the original ones are! Good luck with what ever you choose.

Thanks. Yes I have heard that a few times now both on here and around town. My Nav is only 5 months old, so I think I'll fit the canopy etc and see how long I get out of stocko, which probably won't be long.

Back