GPS locators

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feralbass

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I hope some people may be able to help.
I am looking for a GPS tracking system, similar to what the hunters with dogs use, (individual indicators and a central screen).
I am part of a fishing club and we sometimes fish remote water in canoes and kayaks: generally we all carry UHF handheld radios and most of you would be aware of thier limitations, (range, obsticals etc).
What I want to set up is, each guys carries a tracker, if they are not back by the predetermined time we will know where to look for them, its all about safety.
If you have seen or have something similar, or a better idea, let me know, also, where i can buy this type of gear in Sydney.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Cheers, John.

There's the device called SPOT. JohnnyAppleseed website list them and give a bit of info on how they work.... unfortunately, theres fees req'd but it tracks u + is a personal Emergency device as well. SPOT is the brand and there's others that do similar things as well.

Spot Tracker

I have a SPOT for when I am working alone in remote areas. It is handy as it has a couple of different buttons that allow you to send different customised text messages to the numbers you have entered. Sends via satellite so you still need to have access to clearish sky.
Works okay for me, not sure it would work suitably if your blokes fall out of a canoe though. (They are weatherproof I think), but maybe not water proof.
As mentioned above, check their website for info. It is an American (I think) system and the yearly subscription is about $US115 from memory (work pays it).

Check out the Garmin Rhino GPS/Radio and unit to unit locater, google it and have a read. A few mates of mine us these units when Deer hunting you can check on your fellow hunters whereabouts on the screen.
Pauly

Thanks for the replies guys.
We use EPIRB in our boats and not really an immediate response type thing.
The Garman radio idea might be a going if the costs are ok.
I will contact Johnny Appleseed on Monday and see what he recommends.
Cheers, John

I'm actually looking for something to track me so that my partner can see where I am from home. So far the SPOT seems to sound like what I need.

I'm actually looking for something to track me so that my partner can see where I am from home. So far the SPOT seems to sound like what I need.

A fella we came across on our outback trip put us onto these devices. It also has a built in emergency button to.... His missus was tracking him back home on Google Earth I think he said

Latest posts

Back