Gearbox crunch into 3rd

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostin_7

Reaction score
Hi guys, my 2012 st has developed a little click or mild crunch feeling when changing into 3rd. Its not what you call a grind or a big crunch, but its kinda annoying me.
It generally happens more then changing at low rpm & when the weather & or gearbox is cold.
I have noticed that it sometimes doesnt happen if I rev a bit higher, push the clutch pedal as far in to the firewall as possible, or when shifting head on more of an angle towards 5th.
Does this sound like something that could be rectified with a gearbox oil change & clutch fluid change at the 40k service, or does it sound more sinister and I should be looking at getting the ball rolling on a warranty claim.

Mine does the same! Was going to mention it when I take it in for a warranty job on Monday. Mine actually does a grinding, but only in 3rd. It's very rare to hear it but it sounds like I haven't pushed the clutch all the way in, but I have

If you do mention it, I'd be very interested to hear their response so I know what I'll be up against.

I forgot to mention it as I didn't notice it over the weekend. On a side note, apparently the tail gates on a D40 are meant to take no weight on them at all, not even sitting. I bent the hinges on mine whilst loading 150kg into the tray plus me standing on the tailgate.

My 2013 st is doing the same thing, only with 3rd gear.
Mentioned it to Nissan last month when took it in for the 40000k service, they changed gear box oil and told me to monitor it.... Still does it!

Hi there, I mentioned it on my 40k service.
They said that the gearbox was low on oil, which they topped up & bled the clutch.
It definitely has a lot firmer feel when shifting now, but will still crunch into 3rd unless im doing over 2500rpm.
And since the oil top up Ive noticed that during cold weather its quite a lot harder to change gears & that changing down into second is very hard to do....some times impossible before your going to slow to really need 2nd anymore.
Any advice?
Would changing to a higher quality, different grade oil help?
Im a little frustrated, and i know this hard down shifting is going to be a real pain in the arse when i next go off road.

Mine has been hard getting into 2nd and a bit iffy going into 3rd since new. Have tried heaps of different oils and some are worse than others .I find its usually when revs are low so if you like you can give it a little rev before letting the clutch out and be real gentle

Ha ha that sounds promising..
The other day the misses drove it & she rang me up saying your cars buggered i can barely change gears.
She does drive a pulsar though 😆

Latest posts

Back