Fuel consumption.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's on the "when the bank balance permits" list. Channel 40, got it.

Seems to be D22 country around Maitland. Well, I saw more than usual.

What were you doing up this way, drive up to Singleton/Muswellbrooke at 5am-7am and all you see is utes headed towards Singleton from Maitland.

its amazing huh, thats why i opt for a camper trailer and not a roof top tent, but i find the same thing with my canopy, taking it off saves about .5-.7 L/100 but end up with a frozen labrador in winter lol. from reading the posts on here my girl seems amazingly consistant with her fuel usage despite varied driving styles

Filled up the other day, the 9.7L/100km's was a guess going by the gauge. The bowser worked out to be 10.2L/100km's.

Still a fair difference.

Dave.

What were you doing up this way,

Stayed in Singleton and did a site inspection of the fly ash water return system for Bayswater. They pump a fly ash slurry down to a void at one of the coal mines, let the fly ash settle, then return the water back up to the power station to reuse. The engineer I work for did the hydraulic design for the return system, but the company looking after the upgrade didn't implement it correctly so now they need their hand held.

drive up to Singleton/Muswellbrooke at 5am-7am and all you see is utes headed towards Singleton from Maitland.

It's down to the strength and presence of a dealer in an area; here, the closest 4x4 commercial vehicle dealer is Central Ford Kilmore or Seymour Toyota, so there are a lot of Rangers and Hiluxes, very few Navaras. Surely in Maitland or Newcastle, there's a strong Nissan stealership so all the mine workers etc drive Navaras?

Na there is every model and brand on the roads down here.

However most of the mines tend to use Toyotas, Komatsu use GU Patrol utes though.

Dave.

Just got back from a trip to coffs, got 11.2l/100km on the highway which I was hoping would have been better, D40 Auto TD king cab, roof racks, boxes etc which cant help. left Syd with 700km on the clock, guessing it frees up a bit after a couple more thousand?

Auto YD25 D40's aren't known for there economy.

Hope it gets better for you though.

Dave.

2008 D40 4.0 Petrol
I am getting only an average of 15L/100km out of my girl, but it could also have something to do with the lead plate that I had installed in my foot when I was sixteen.lol
Doesnt seem to matter if I am cruising town or on the highway it still remains around 15L/100km, although I never sit on a good speed and our always overtaking when I can. I am dreading what its going to be when I start towing my van around

Diesel/Gas Mileage

I finally got my act together and sorted out my spreadsheet for a combination of diesel and gas usage. I hope it is self explanatory (check the memos tags) bit I'll be happy to answer any questions. I would also appreciate it if anyone can simplify my equations even though they seem to work.
Briefly, diesel usage is a bit over 9L/100Km but combined with gas I use about 11.5L/100Km which is about what the Nav was doing before gas. This goes up to around 12.5L when towing the van.

Attachments

• Nav Gas and Diesel.xls
    28 KB · Views: 65
D40 Kingcab
Auto TD
420km's 69l used =16.4l/100km
Tool boxes & contents probably weigh 150kg (sparky so not much weight)

Nissan recon nothing wrong with it but I haven't heard of anyone else returning figures like that

^ !@#$ mate, may aswell have bought the petrol and got shit loads more power and about the same torque figures. The same fuel consumption.

Dave.

well yesterday was first time towing a trailer.

had them bigger wheels on, had loaded in the back of the ute were tools, shovels, barrow, other random kit.

trailer was one of them fold out camper trailers, offroad one, so weighed a bit.

currently on half a tank left after doing 340km and plenty of hills.

not the greatest but guess it uses more fuel as it struggles.

turbo pressure got high enough to blow the wastegate line off! lol

EDIT.

oh and justdrinkbeer,
i have two times with the stock wheels, with a mx bike in the back (80kg), a full tool kit (60kg), 3 'full of ice' eskys, 1 engel and a crap load of other kit and i got 820km out of the tank with cruising speed between 120-140.

you deffo have got an issue there, and i only have a 75L tank, cept fuel light goes on at 65L

Last edited:
I have just checked mine,
D22 STR 2006
combination around town and highway empty, just the family.
10.3l per 100k.
Its not too bad, but I would like it better

^ !@#$ mate, may aswell have bought the petrol and got shit loads more power and about the same torque figures. The same fuel consumption.

Dave.

I only changed to the navara as my V6 petrol rodeo was costing so much in fuel, navara damn near the same figs

Installed my long range tank the other week.
Haven't filled up for 1300km and still got some left :eek:

To all those with long range tanks, do you fill it up to the brim and carry the extra weight around or just put some in every couple a days?
(don't wanna get a diesel bacteria in my tank)

I fill mine up once a week to every 2 weeks. Depends on how much driving I do.

I always fill mine to the brim, filled it last night. Put 110L in, cant remember the km's though. Wouldn't have been as good as always though, since I done abit of towing.

Dave.

896.5km's travelled since friday arvo.

Filled up on friday arvo, saturday I towed a 2t car trailer to Sydney empty and towed a EH home and then the arvo went for a decent trip with the GF.

200km's done today for work.

Filled up tonight and I averaged 11.73L/100km's which I am damn happy with.

Dave.

Last half tank of fuel in my d40 manual diesel netted me 9L/100. Actually 8.8 but I rounded up. 465km from 41 litres

This was a bit of town (100+ km) and a trip up the range from caboolture to out past kingaroy and back.

I am stoked with the economy. I think it has improved slightly after blocking egr. I really expected it to use more as the trip over the range is not really what I would call easy highway.

using bp ultimate diesel only as it seems to be less smoke and makes me feel better using it!

I have only got a suspension and rhino racks and a flat lid on the truck.
I will expect economy to suffer a little with a bullbar.

Just as a side note too the fuel gauge in mine seems to be quite accurate as the needle was right on half way when I put 41 litres in it.

Hooray! :dance3: Finally squeezed 600+kms out of my tank!! 617 to be exact, and after taking 64 Litres it worked out to 10.3 l/100km. According to my records, 10.2 is the best I have ever done...so it is probably the fact I ran it down so low. I'm pretty stoked anyway. It was a 50/50 mix highway/city, so that surprises me too. It still seems the older ZD30's are not as efficient as the newer breeds.

Guido

My D40 Petrol has just travelled 7000 kms and has returned 7 1/2 kms per litre over the last 2 fills. All this travelled around town only.

My PB when I was recording consumption was 12.3l/100km, Newcastle to Canberra. Woeful for a PB.

That was at 110km/h, which is pretty much top speed, with a light load in the tray and two people.

I reckon it's overfuelling badly, plenty of black smoke. It also has the worst possible diff ratios for economy, so my solution is to get around to fitting the turbo as soon as I finish the cab swap, and get Guest 4WD in Fairfield to tune it for the turbo and set the boost, then look into diff and trans options.

when i got mine it was fairly stock and i was getting 8.5L per 100km on the highway.

with travelling 65km to work and back these day's im doing a fair bit of high way.
i got my gas fixed and the next tanks were.
8.54L per 100km and 4.5L of gas per 100km. so i changed the gas fitting and will see how i go, i dont drive my navara soft either.

Hooray! :dance3: Finally squeezed 600+kms out of my tank!! 617 to be exact, and after taking 64 Litres it worked out to 10.3 l/100km. According to my records, 10.2 is the best I have ever done...so it is probably the fact I ran it down so low. I'm pretty stoked anyway. It was a 50/50 mix highway/city, so that surprises me too. It still seems the older ZD30's are not as efficient as the newer breeds.

Guido

Latest posts

Back