Frontier navara help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retsnom92

Reaction score
Ok i know u guys call them navaras but basically its tge same thing i bought a 05 frontier "navara' and it has 160,000 miles on it. Iv gotten worried about the many many problems of this vehicle. My main 2 im worried about is the timing chain whistling soubd wich just started and the transmission fluid being mixed with coolant. Sooo my question could yal give me direction on to fixing these. Also... transmission did slip this morning but it was 30°f . Also would a radiator sealer help this problem. A product such as bars leak

Hi Retsnom if you have a look at Clubfrontier.org there will be heaps of write ups on these exact issues.
Timing chains are basically a change out item and I know there are write ups on exactly how to do it. There was a known issue about tranny fuid contamination and from memory the guys in the US were removing the tranny lines from the radiator and running them to a new tranny cooler. That should solve that issue. Apparently the cooling coil in the radiator for the tranny had a tendancy to split and leak inside the radiator hance the contamination. Not good for the motor ( tanny fluid in the coolant) or the tranny (coolant in the tranny fluid) .

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/transmission-radiator-cross-contamination-05-10-models-means-bypass-now-57547/

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/vq-engine-secondary-timing-chain-noise-revised-tsbs-52945/

Ok thank u i was thinking about using this stuff called bars leak. To maybe a possible fix. Its supposed to fix things like cracked heads. Iv used it on my 93 mazda 336,000 miles and still running strong

Yeah its to use slight water leaks etc as a temp fix.If you install another tranny cooler and block off the lines going into the radiator then you should be good to go after a fresh load of coolant and tranny fluid

Probably better off doing as mentioned above than putting shit in that could potentially block valves in the tranny

Good advice here, additives like Bars Leaks which is designed to stop leaks by plugging holes could just as easily block holes anywhere - and the transmission is NOT going to enjoy that!

I'd do as suggested - grab a transmission cooler, bolt it to the front somewhere and block the radiator connections to the transmission. Total cost will be the cooler + some hosing + coolant + ATF. Better by far than the cost of a new transmission.

Its apparently a common problem in the Frontiers and in real terms I have never relied on Radiator tranny coolers. I have always installed the biggest cooler I could buy as too much heat in a tranny is always bad

Back