Front uni joint replacement issues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

konect

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I was getting some vibrations and found the rear uni on my front shaft was pretty buggered. Having the tools for then job I went down to Bearing Wholesalers (BW) and got some replacement uni's. When I went to fit them however I discovered a problem with the grease nipple.

Can anyone confirm how they are meant to fit? Maybe I'm doing something wrong (although its symmetrical so I'm not sure how else it can fit)....

Part K5-L4R

(Listed for Spanish 2007 D40 Front shaft at Burson's, BW and Hardy Spicer). You can see from the pics that the extended grease nipple fouls on the yoke - I actually can't even straighten the uni with the extended grease nipple in there. Pics and more details below...

Fouling of the extended grease nipple:

lrggntop_zpsa1a299f9.jpg

So I took it back to BW and got the smallest grease nipple they have. It is better but it still has minimal clearance and the yoke can't get full extension without fouling in one direction.

Grease nipple clearance:

smallgnclearance_zps72dd3cb7.jpg

Maximum yoke angle before fouling:

smallgnmaxangle_zps8be0f6bc.jpg

Last edited:
Had the same prob with mine just notched it out a bit to get a grease gun in all good now.

Just a note if it's on your shaft from gear box to front diff there is minimal movement there anyway and your unis don't have a big working range as the diff only moves a small amount and so does the transfer so in that last picture you have taken the uni is well beyond its range of motion in the application that it's in.

Thanks guys - took it out for a spin in Wombat State Forest today and was all good.

The small grease nipples only just clear the yokes with ~1mm or less of clearance. No way the large grease nipple would ever have got through there!

Interesting the part listed at all these places simply cannot fit between the yokes without modification...

Latest posts

Back