Fraser Trip in December

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate i went there not long ago only went up to indian heads as we were only there for 2 days i honestly usesd 4wd once for 30 seconds cause i got caught up on one of the dingo grids lol drove everywhere in 2wd even the inland tracks to lake mckanzie or however you spell it.
And i wasnt driving like some knob churning up the tracks in 2wd it was just a stroll in the park pocking around no wheel spin. thats in a stock standard d22.
Ps have fun getting the sand out when you get back to the real world all those fresh water run outs just fill the underside with sand its a pita to clean

Clearly ggc d22 you didn't hit the island at Inskip Point or venture north of Inidan Head (where the real 4wheeling begins). Cruising on the hard sand on the beach and most of the inland tacks are fine in 2wd.

Ditto about the max trax - they got me out of trouble up there when towing the camper once. Def worth the $300.

Around the headlands are great for fishing but fishing is prohibited there at a certain time of the year. I think the area opens for fishing on the October long weekend but you would need to clarify.

Yeah it's either that or a 55l fridgemate. I've heard great reviews

I'm also thinking I'll remove that back seat for the trek. Put the fridge in the back and just the main things.

FatBoy89 said:
Heading up to Fraser for 6-7 days after Chrissy.
Any tips or hints would be great.
Accessories to take, anything to note.

I'll be there from 22nd to 28th of dec. can't wait

Mate, It's been said before, but the Sand flies, Midgies and March Flies are BAD in summer, take more than one large can of Bushman repelant. The one in the yellow can, they seem to drink Areogaurd., and don't leave anything in the way of food out, day or night. If the Dingos don't get it, the goannas will.

The birds to try to attack anything left out to, I tied our bag of rubbish up a tree like you would for bears in the states and had a pack of crows try and pick it apart :/

snave said:
I'll be there from 22nd to 28th of dec. can't wait

I'll be leaving boxing day or Christmas day. Planning to be up there round 7 days

So where are you thinking of heading fat boy? Got your trip planned out?

-JOSH- said:
So where are you thinking of heading fat boy? Got your trip planned out?

Haven't planned anything yet. Just leave dates. Getting the uterus ready and then organise exact details. Hit the island then figure it out I reckon

I'll be leaving boxing day or Christmas day. Planning to be up there round 7 days

Every man and his dog will be there around then, make sure you get in early and book a spot (think its 3 months in advance now to stop people booking like a year earlier) you can do it online and just grab the tags for your car/campsite from the ranger station at rainbow beach on the way through (even before they open last I knew)

my biggest concern would be the amount of idiots over there who don't stick to the road rules and do stupid shit like 60km/h around a blind corner on a single lane sand track, had that happen to me with this guy in an 80 series, we came within about 5cm of each other, I guess just expect to see stupid shit and give everyone a wide berth and you will be ok.

Yeah I expected to have idiots there. Yeah we will just be beach camping so I have been lookin into it the last couple days. Will organise permits in the next few weeks..

Where does everyone usually catch the barge from? Rainbow Beach to Inskip point?
Or mainly kingfisher bay or to wanggoolba?

Yeah that's the kingfisher bay ferry. They have 2 different ones. That's the one in looking at going on.
Going to have to leave Christmas night to make it by midday boxing day

Personally I would say use the inskip point one, since they run all day you won't run the chance of missing them, I almost missed that kingfisher bay one last time I went cause of some road works along the way held us up for about 30mins, factor that in with leaving an hour later then I wanted (women....sigh) we got there with about 5 minutes to spare.

not to mention its about an hour-2hours to drive across the island depending on the tracks.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. No booking need for Inskip either. Plus the fact it's $65 cheaper and shorter trips of only 10 minute intervals.
Has anyone got on from inskip??

Inskip is always a winner in my eyes, I'll be probably staying a night at Inskip then jumping on the barge at a time that suites the tide. That's where we have always gone from.

-JOSH- said:
Inskip is always a winner in my eyes, I'll be probably staying a night at Inskip then jumping on the barge at a time that suites the tide. That's where we have always gone from.

Am i correct in saying you don't need to book ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back