Fitting an OEM towbar to a D22 ST-R

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cage

Reaction score
Another question on my new 2013 D22 build.

Can an old mug like me, sorta handy, fit a genuine Nissan tow-bar?

Does it require any serious drilling of the chassis?

Is the wiring loom already at the back of the vehicle requiring only a 'plug-in' type connection.

Stay with me guys, I'm an old fart trying to get the best value for my buck.

Getting the dealer to fit it sorta doubles the price.

Cage

Last edited:
Jump under the truck and look for likely holes - probably near the end of the rails along he bottom.

Also look for "spare" wiring near the tail lights - might be tucked p there somewhere.

Not usually any wiring there, but Nissan sell a plug in harness that goes into the tail light harness. Fitting them is fairly easy. What year is it? On my 2010 I had to drill 2 holes close to the spring hanger. There are 2 large holes near the end of the chassis that 2 bolts go through and usually 2 plates that sit inside the rails to reinforce them.

Just make sure to get the later model towbar if it is a 2009 onwards as the tub is longer and the earlier one will sit too far under the bumper/step to work properly.

I got one off Gumtree for $80 to suit the older model but I have removed my step so that's not a problem for me. Genuine too with the tongue and ball, just no harness but I made my own. I believe the nissan harness is around $60 from nizzbits though, which plugs straight in...

If you keep an eye out they come up second hand fairly often, usually from people fitting rear bars. Can get one fairly cheap, it doesn't make a lot of difference if it isn't brand new, the cars aren't very old yet so they aren't usually in bad condition

Plenty at the wreckers...just remember to get the brackets and and adaptor plates off the chassis rails

I bought one from the wreckers and fitted it came with all the bolts and the extra reinforcement which slides down the chassis and bolts before the spring hanger, also the pigtail wiring harness which is just plugs in.
All up it only cost me $150 with hitch ,tow ball and harness and its a 3,000kg ,
look around there are plenty on Ebay ,

There is one at Lambton near Newcastle for $195 off a 2011
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lambton/other-parts-accessories/nissan-navara-2011-tow-bar/1030011910

Last edited:
I bought one from the wreckers and fitted it came with all the bolts and the extra reinforcement which slides down the chassis and bolts before the spring hanger, also the pigtail wiring harness which is just plugs in.
All up it only cost me $150 with hitch ,tow ball and harness and its a 3,000kg ,
look around there are plenty on Ebay ,

There is one at Lambton near Newcastle for $195 off a 2011
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lambton/other-parts-accessories/nissan-navara-2011-tow-bar/1030011910

that's the deal

Latest posts

Back