Fan belt

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gusdale

Reaction score
Hey guys,
My D22 ZD30 fan belt is screeching, even with a new Gates belt. Any ideas? The tensioner seems to be working ok (bloody tough to release the tension)

Cheers.

Welcome to the forum!

Any competent mechanic will tell you that it could just as easily be the bearing in the idler pulley and not the belt - especially so if you just changed it. You could give it a squirt of silicon lube (I don't use anything else these days) and see if it quietens down.

Failing that - and if it's not your alternator (please, please let it be something else - alternator isn't cheap) then some "dry lube" on the inside of the fan belt usually shuts them up, but could lead to glossing of the belt later on.

Yep possibly the tensioner bearing. Start deciding which limb or child you want to give to Nissan in exchange for that whole assembly. I replaced mine a while back and from memory it was close to $400. Wish I knew there was a bearing made for it at the time. Have a search there should be a thread on it somewhere.

Guido

got mine from nissan last week. whole assembly was $390 trade price in Perth. the reason was the hydraulic tensioner was not tensioning properly i suspect as i've replaced the belt + pulley and it was still squealing on early mornings. replaced that and it's been all right for a week. hope it stays that way.

tensoiner might be ok. remove the assembly from your truck and have a look at the bushes at each end of the tensioner. If the bushes are worm you could be losing a couple of mm worth of adjustment on your belt.
For the record i had squeeling issue not long ago using a aftermarket belt. After replacing the belt (from aftermarket to standard) and tensioner bushes the squeeling stopped and i am a lot happier.

I just went to a bearing supplier and purchased a length of teflon rod and made my own bushes. Just pressed them in using a vice and it worked a treat. All up cost around $20 and i have enough materail left to last the life of the vehicle.

I have replaced the tensioner pulley but the belt is still noisy. A bit of belt dressing shuts it up for a while. I have herd chalk works just as good.
I suspect it may be the tensioner. As my original post stated it is bloody stiff but I think it may be the bushes/mounts.
On a lighter note I don't GAF any more because I just purchased an 06 ST-R!

What belt did you use ?

Gates belt's on the ZD30 are known to cause a squeal.

Seach the Patrol forum for it, its common.

Congrats on the 2006 model.

They go alright.

just saw ppl have put up prices for the assembly...
try [email protected]
i just got the whole tensioner assembly and a oem belt for $400 all up, pretty good considering the trade price in perth was 390 just for the tensioner assembly

Scrap the chalk idea boys. Someone must have been pulling my leg, I tried it today and just made it so much worse. I'll stick to the belt dressing for now.

Come to think of it, I may have put a Gates on?!

Latest posts

Back